1.8L Dual Turbo

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
VizualXTC

1.8L Dual Turbo

Post by VizualXTC »

Has anyone done this? and how much will it cost me? What are the bennefits from a dual turbo that a single turbo can't provide? Also will I have to convert to a dual exhaust to do it? Thanks<BR>~Ryan~
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Coleman

Re: 1.8L Dual Turbo

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><B>Has anyone done this? and how much will it cost me? What are the bennefits from a dual turbo that a single turbo can't provide? Also will I have to convert to a dual exhaust to do it? Thanks<BR>~Ryan~</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No.<BR>Alot, probably upwards of $6kUSD.<BR>Thermal lag is reduced, neato factor increased.<BR>No.<P><P>------------------<BR><B><I>David Coleman</B></I><BR><A HREF="http://www.PinkMX-3.com" TARGET=_blank>1993 Mazda MX-3 GS Special Edition</A><BR><B><A HREF="http://www.highlandsun.com/hyc/sae920677/" TARGET=_blank><I>V6 engine info</I></A> | <A HREF="http://www.bradbury.cwc.net/probemx/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>KL FAQ</A> | <I><A HREF="http://www.brownsword.ca/Probe.html" TARGET=_blank>ECU reprogramming</A></I> | <A HREF="http://members.home.net/tekguy/" TARGET=_blank>K series Image cache</A> | <I><A HREF="http://archive.probetalk.com/cgi-bin/se ... tion=intro" TARGET=_blank>Probetalk Archive Search</A></I></B><BR><B>Support OPEC: Buy an SUV</B>
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

I've heard better stories about single turbo setups...hence most supra and rx-7 owners putting a single aftermarket turbo on their cars.....but for our cars, NOS would probably be the cheapest way to boost it<P>------------------<BR>~'94 GS (Creek Blue Mica)
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Probably, but I want to put turbo and NOS on it. Thanks for the info. What kind of PSI could our cars handle under a single and dual turbo setups? <BR>~Ryan~
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
pelado

Post by pelado »

Geez, you guys ask for a book full of answers with one question!<BR>Twin turbos allow the use of smaller turbos. Smaller turbos have less mass and therefore spool up faster, thereby shortening the time it takes to build boost and horsepower.<BR>I believe the Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 (Stealth), 300ZX, Maserati BiTurbo, and Audi S4 all use a twin turbo setup. None of these have transversely mounted engines. I've seen custom twin turbo setups for cars that never had them and it takes the bankroll of a very rich man to do it right. If my memory serves me right, the old Gale Banks twin turbo setup for a small block Chevy was around $7K! And it used carburetors, not FI.<P>The problem with these imports (and any modern FI engine) is that it takes a lot of money to bump up the horsepower. I saw where V-6 headers for an Acura TL are ~$1K!! This makes those Hurricane headers from Corksport look like a bargain at $450!!<BR>Sigh...I'll stop whining now.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

The amount of PSI depends on the size of the turbo(s).
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>The amount of PSI depends on the size of the turbo(s).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>That is incorrect.<P>You can have a T66 run 8psi and a T3 run 25psi. A good overview of turbocharger systems is Corky Bell's <I>Maximum Boost</I>. By rule of thubm, a TD05-14B would be a good turbo for a 1.8L at low boost pressures on pump gas, though I've never seen a compressor map for one.
David Coleman
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>The amount of PSI depends on the size of the turbo(s).</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I wasn't asking how much the TURBO will make, I was asking how much a 1.8L could withstand without blowing my engine.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Dave, the amount of PSI he can run through on a 1.8L v6 depends on the size of the turbo....8psi on a t66 is a lot smaller than 8 psi on a t88...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

You've said two different things here. <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>Dave, the amount of PSI he can run through on a 1.8L v6 depends on the size of the turbo....</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It does not depend on the physical size of the turbocharger assembly. Sorry, but that's just not true. I think you're confused about what PSI is....<P><STRONG> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>8psi on a t66 is a lot smaller than 8 psi on a t88...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This is sort of correct. In smaller, you're meaning to say flows less CFM [or alternatively #/min]. At 8psi on a given engine, a T88 will likely outflow a T66. Manifold pressure and Mass flow are two entirely different things, which you are confusing. Massflow is a function of manifold pressure.
David Coleman
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VizualXTC:<BR><STRONG><P>I wasn't asking how much the TURBO will make, I was asking how much a 1.8L could withstand without blowing my engine.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>To answer your question, I know guys who have successfully run over 14psi on a stock KL block. I would like to think that the K8 has equally strong rods, but I believe on Tekguy's site he has pictures of the tiny stock rods. They are the weak point on this motor I'd say. Intercooled 6-8psi should be fine, however.
David Coleman
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

So your saying you can run 6-8 psi no matter what size the turbo is? I don't understand that....the bigger the turbo is, the less psi you'll be able to push through the engine without modding it. I had a tdo5h(14b) on my GSX, and then upgraded to a 16g...12psi on the 16g was a much greater boost than 12 psi on the 14b....you say the 14b is a good turbo for a 1.8v6? Wanna buy it? Hehe<p>[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG>So your saying you can run 6-8 psi no matter what size the turbo is? I don't understand that....the bigger the turbo is, the less psi you'll be able to push through the engine without modding it. I had a tdo5h(14b) on my GSX, and then upgraded to a 16g...12psi on the 16g was a much greater boost than 12 psi on the 14b....you say the 14b is a good turbo for a 1.8v6? Wanna buy it? Hehe<P>[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: Bri94GS ]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>There was no more "boost" with your 16g there than there was with your 14b. 12 psi = 12 psi no matter what.<P>What you got with the 16g was a larger impeller (and probably larger housing) and thus more FLOW (just like Dave was saying in his post) for the same boost pressure. I'll bet with the turbo upgrade you also got larger diameter intake hoses and probably even a larger intercooler. Right? Otherwise you'd just be wasting your money by just changing to a bigger turbo and changing nothing else.<P>The amount of flow in a hose or pipe is proportional to the differential pressure, here we're talking about 12 psi. A 12 psi differential pressure through a two inch diameter pipe of, say, three feet will only flow a specific cfm of air. A 12 psi differential pressure through a 2 1\4 inch pipe of the same length will flow even more air. Remember that the area of a circle is A = pi x (radius squared), therefore the flow is proportional to the square of the pipe's radius and is thus non-linear. That's why the same boost pressure (12 psi differential pressure) will give more air flow with a bigger turbo than a smaller turbo. If you put a bigger turbo in a small pipe and keep the boost pressure (wastegate setting) the same, then you'll get the same airflow. <BR>12 psi + same pipe size = same flow, no matter which way you slice it<BR> ;)
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Gotcha...i think i just don't know how to explain what i want to say. I agree with most of the stuff you guys are saying, but don't know how to get out what i'm trying to get acrosss...nevermind
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”