V6 knocking from the head

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
J. Carlsson

V6 knocking from the head

Post by J. Carlsson »

Thinking of buying a 323F y 95 (lantis model).<BR>the car has a 2.0 l V6 and 146 or 147 hp. And should be the same as the on in the MX3 (+0.2l).<BR>The kocking I heard seams to come from the head, and the engine should have hydralic valves what could this be and how expensive?<BR>The car had been standing for a cuple of weeks, and the milage is 75 000 miles(120 000 km). Last indicated service was made at 90 000km.<BR>When should the belt be changed?<BR>Whats els should I lookout for?<P>The car did drive god with a god pull from the engine (cupling was sliding a bit) <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR>J C<BR>
kick_n_canadian

Re: V6 knocking from the head

Post by kick_n_canadian »

hey there,<BR>I own a 92 MX-3 GS. I not long ago had a similar problem, there was short quick knocks comming from the heads, and small vibrations. The knocking only lasted about 2-3 minutes, then it disipated. I took it in to have it looked at, and the compression test failed... boooo... $5000 CANADIAN later it runs like new, as it needed to be completely overhauled. There is a major service to almost all mazda cars at 96,0000Km at witch time, the timming belt needs to be replaced, the cost $900 CAN. This is likely your only problem, however check the compression that vibration in my head was likely either the timming belt or the valve seals. <P>By the way to all MX-3 owners, keep them going strong. I just invested over $7000 in the last 2 weeks to keep mine for another 200,000Km. And believe me there is major power behind this car, even after a complete rebuild. Money is always well spent on the precid.
jfbourgault

Post by jfbourgault »

I had a similar problem about 2 months ago caused by low oil level , The car was knocking at startup and after it had run a little while, I had forgotten to look at my oil level for the last 2 weeks, Horror, it was missing 1½ liter of oil. the noise was coming from the rear cylinder head, IT immediatly stopped after I added some oil. Be very carefull with that, It could damage or burn your valve seals. luckily, nothing happenned to mine ( I think so)
92 mx-3 GS .greeeeeeeen!<BR>Honda !!!, what do you mean Honda??<BR>Oh sorry, you meant that piece of crap parked next to my car! oh sorry again, I meant to say lawnmower....
Joksta69

Post by Joksta69 »

just had that problem, get the half-shafts checkd make sure the boot around it is sealed if not that is your problem it cost 140.00 us dollars
GEN-MX

Post by GEN-MX »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kick_n_canadian:<BR><B>hey there,<BR>I own a 92 MX-3 GS. I not long ago had a similar problem, there was short quick knocks comming from the heads, and small vibrations. The knocking only lasted about 2-3 minutes, then it disipated. I took it in to have it looked at, and the compression test failed... boooo... $5000 CANADIAN later it runs like new, as it needed to be completely overhauled. There is a major service to almost all mazda cars at 96,0000Km at witch time, the timming belt needs to be replaced, the cost $900 CAN. This is likely your only problem, however check the compression that vibration in my head was likely either the timming belt or the valve seals. <P>By the way to all MX-3 owners, keep them going strong. I just invested over $7000 in the last 2 weeks to keep mine for another 200,000Km. And believe me there is major power behind this car, even after a complete rebuild. Money is always well spent on the precid.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Hey Kick' n I had the same prob as you. Driving on the highway, cylinder valve burnt out...No compression on comp. test. Image i.e. $3000 later, all new parts, runs like new again!<BR>Props to the Precidia!<P><P>------------------<BR>Marc 93MX3RS
Marc 93MX3RS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”