Hood Latch Problem

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
jeffc

Hood Latch Problem

Post by jeffc »

Hey guys. ive got a prob with my hood. at first the hood wouldnt close at all...so i took off the latch mount, oiled it up, pulled the cable back a forth a few tiimes to make sure it wasnt binding. then i screwd it back on to find that the hood still wouldnt latch. i was told that the position has to be perfect for the hood to hook. so so with trail and error, i would take off the latch..put it on..and then test it...i was at it for about 2 hours and finally it worked. the hood stayed down...but a now a new problem!!!...the darn thing wont come open. i pull on the lever inside the car and nothing happens. can anyone give me some insight on what the problem might be here...any help at all would be appreciated. thanks<p>
Jeff
NateDog

Re: Hood Latch Problem

Post by NateDog »

my hood did the same thing w/ the latch. my hood wouldnt stay latched closed, but instead of messing around w/ the latch i just bought hood pins and installed them. they look sweet, i have a white car w/ blue pins. they work wonders.
Taras

Post by Taras »

Well, I guess at first you need your hood opened. Try from underneaththe bumper. You need to jack your car up, but please use care and jack stands. The whole latch assy moves up and down. So try loosening bolts and put it as far up as possible. Tighten, and see if it latches and opens again. Play with correct height if this works. It just may be not catching. Also make sure it is not seized. Did you have front end damage or had your hood off (ZE swap), you may have a problem with body parts aligning. Good luck.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
jeffc

Post by jeffc »

Found the problem... the nut where the latch cable connects the the handle in the dash stripped out, and the cable slipped back about 1/2 inch...so the latch wasnt opening all the way when i pulled on the handle. To temporarrily fix the problem i just connect a piece of wire directly to the latch a ran it out near my headlight. That'll do the trick till i get a new cable.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”