DAB and XM Radio

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Andrew_Pakula

DAB and XM Radio

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Can someone please explain to me how to setup DAB and XM Radio.<p>My Pioneer Premier DEH-P930 is supposed to support both but do I need to get extra receivers for them or something to enable it?
henz94

Re: DAB and XM Radio

Post by henz94 »

I'm only fimiliar with XM radio, and yes you need to buy a receiver( i believe they run from $150-200)plus you also need to pay a monthly subscription in order to get the signal. Maybe try ebay for the receiever, and the subscription i believe a stereo shop might have the details
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I myself have XM and I love it. IF you have an IPBUS input and your headunit is about a year old or newer, you can just buy the reciever and IPBus cable and plug it in. Your headunit will control the rest. I believe DAB is only available in the UK and other parts of Europe.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Last time i e-mailed XM, which was sometime late last year, they told me that they didnt support canada and didnt know if there was any plans to do so.<p>There's a friend of a customer at the store, he has one, hacked, i read on it, i guess you subscribe to it for a month, and mod the receiver, solder like 2 pins or something to lock the unit, so your subscription stays valid probably until they overhaul their system.<p>So you;d essentially be pulling a "Direct TV" with XM
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
I believe DAB is only available in the UK and other parts of Europe.<hr></blockquote><p>DAB is available in Canada too, more specifically Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.<p>Im just not sure if I need a seperate receiver for it.
sapper

Post by sapper »

You can only revieve XM radio if you live in the US, its not available in Canada. This is because of the CRTC laws that govern Canadian Content (And XM radio doesnt play the required 30% or whatever it is, which is why its not available here) However, if you have a US address, you can get XM by subscribing using that address. As for DAB, (Which is available here in Canada) I dont think its available for cars yet. I do know ou can go to your local Radio Shack to get a hand held reciever. Its been out in the uk for a few years (I've been told up to 10 years) If anyone knows where to get a car reciever for Dab in Vancouver LET ME KNOW!
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

DAB is available for cars, my Pioneer deck wouldn't say DAB control if it wasn't meant for cars.<p>What I need is the Pioneer DAB tuner / receiver which is sold seperately. It costs SO MUCH MONEY! YIKES! For that price I don't think it is worth it, unless I can find one for cheap somewhere.<p>http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PioneerCanadaEng/CDA/CarProd ucts/POC_Eng_CarProductDetails/0,1825,2290,00.html<p>Image
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Is an xm signal really cd quality?
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3man83:
Is an xm signal really cd quality?<hr></blockquote><p>Sounds like it. Much better that FM.
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Just an update, after doing some further research XM Radio is available through most of Lower Ontario, up as far north as Ottawa even.<p>This chain of Satellite stores can hook it up for you: http://www.huworks.tv/hires/main.html<p>Don't buy the Hardware from them though, its too expensive, you can get a cheap XM receiver off Ebay for under $100 U.S.<p>I am going to buy one off Ebay really soon and will hook it up through them.<p>If all goes well I'll post a FAQ later for how people in Canada can get XM radio.
Gkreator

Post by Gkreator »

I just installed my new Pioneer DEH-P6500 unit that is XM ready. I will be getting the XM unit & antenna soon. It's pretty cheap. About $120 for the XM and $50 for the antenna in the store which includes installation.
Dave Hyatt
94 Teal MX-3 RS 5 Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/id/gkreator_inside (New Pics!)

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”