Best Anti-Skip CD/MP3 Deck

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
VizualXTC

Best Anti-Skip CD/MP3 Deck

Post by VizualXTC »

Hey all, I am lookin for a CD/MP3 deck that has really good anti-skip. I am putting this in a Jeep so it has to be able to handle a little abuse. Anyone know what companies have good anti-skip? I heard that Panasonic has the best anti-skip, followed closely by Kenwood. Is this true. (I heard this from a store that didn't even sell Panasonic) Any help would be great. Thanks everyone.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
mzdspd

Re: Best Anti-Skip CD/MP3 Deck

Post by mzdspd »

you should have no prob at all with mp3 because the players actualy read the song aprox 60sec in advance to decode them. as for cd just about any deck should work fine. make sure it is securly mounted and you shouldn't have a prob.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

If you do have some skipping over large bumps, check and make sure that the DIN sleeve used for mounting is in real tight. If not, put some foam or something around the DIN sleeve to make it fit better into the DIN opening. Then put your stereo back in and you should be all set.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

The Sony Deck w/ the CD Tray that comes out is supposed to be very good but I've never used it.<p>But yah, Mp3s shouldn't skip at all. Unless the CD is scratched.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

I'm running a Kenwood KDC-mp1919 MP3 player in my car...and havent hand any problem. Even went down avery bumpy back road and didnt skip once.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I personally figure this:<p>Say a CD player has a 30second anti-skip memory, it would be able to store digitally 30 seconds of music. A CD Audio file is ~10Mb per minute/60 seconds, meaning that it should store ~5MB worth of music for 30 seconds<p>Since (i theorise that) you have 5mb worth of storage, and mp3 compression averaging about 1MB per minute/60 seconds, that 5mb of storage should hold 5 minutes of Mp3's, or your average length song<p>And since that 5mb of memory is volatile, it would be retivaly cheep to manufactuere and implement, compared to USB keys, CF cards, etc, etc... so it would make sence if that were all true<p>
Now all this is just a personal theory, i;ve never looked into how it work, especially dealing with mp3 formats, so if im wrong, ill be more than glad to be corrected<p>[ May 02, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
sheller

Post by sheller »

I have a Rockford Fosgate (ebay like $200) and I haven't had it skip yet.
Steve
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I'm not as worried about the MP3 as I am the CD. Right now he has a 3 yr old Kenwood deck, and it skips everytime he hits a manhole in the road. The shocks on his jeep are either very stiff, or dead. There is a Sony that I think he'd like because he has a sony CD changer already. I just need a good CD player that has a good antiskip that can play MP3. Thanks for the info tho guys
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
The_Great_Tonge

Post by The_Great_Tonge »

only sucky thing about mp3 cd players is the time it takes them to read each song. its not a smooth flow between songs... :shrug:
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Yes, but you can put all 200+ of your CD's on like 5-10 CD's instead :)
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
henz94

Post by henz94 »

Older Model Kenwood's are known to skip. I heard from a friend who works at a stereo shop in town that they fixed the problem. I just bought a panasonic mp3, wma, cd etc, and i had it out of the slot, shaking it and it didnt skip once, and hasnt since(while playing a normal cd)
Hope that helps
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Well, that's why he bought the kenwood. He bought it from the guy that told us that Kenwood was right under Panasonic. Maybe he just wore it out :shrug:
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
phr34k

Post by phr34k »

use wma codecs and you can put over 200 songs on one CD/MP3
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

sure, lets all use a microsoft propriotay format that has that stupid whine in teh background
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”