Head unit positive wire going directly to battery

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
craftydarren

Head unit positive wire going directly to battery

Post by craftydarren »

Has anyone connected their head unit directly to the battery? I have this Alpine 7894 which is supposed to be installed like that. I looked for 3 hours for a hole or something but couldn't find one. I ended up sending the wire just inside of the door but you can see the wire and so it looks low budget.<p>So has anyone been able to do this properly?
16" ASA wheels, Yokohama Prada Spec 2 tires, Tokiko Premium struts, H&R Lowering Springs.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Head unit positive wire going directly to battery

Post by Custommx3 »

Do you have an audo? if so you can run it through the hole where the clutch pedal would go. Thats where mine is on my RS.
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

there should be a hole in the passenger firwall try there. if not you can hook it up to the fuse box.
craftydarren

Post by craftydarren »

I have a manual so there is a clutch pedal. I can look there to see if there is any space to send the wire through.<p>Also, the instructions said not to connect this wire to the fusebox. In fact, the wire coming from the radio has it's own little fuse box on it.
16" ASA wheels, Yokohama Prada Spec 2 tires, Tokiko Premium struts, H&R Lowering Springs.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

Dang that is some radio! Open up the hood, so that you are looking at the engine. Look at the right side of the firewall. If you search you will find a rubber "stopper". You can pull this stopper out and run it through there. Actually, I pulled the rubber stopper out, drilled a whole in it, and then put it back it, making a wire gasket of sorts. Works great.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

I just installed one over the weekend, and for one all headunits have a fuse. I was saying if you could not find a hole in the firewall you have two options. You can drill a hole in the firewall witch is not hard just make sure you add a groumet befor you run wire through so that water does not get through, and if you dont add groumet it is possible wire can rub and fray causing a short. or you can tap into the fuse box there is a wire that goes right from the batt to the fuse box.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

that wire you are connecting is for the internal amp. Its a 60x4 and its a 10awg wire, right? Don't run it to a fuse block, take it to the battery if you can. On my auto the hole is very large and on the drivers side... hard to miss. Since you have a manual, I don't know where the hole is.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

the hole is in the same place there is also a hole near that that is msaller thta is used for cruise control so if u don't have cruise that is another option.
92RedMX3

Post by 92RedMX3 »

Oh, never posted this.... You MUST have a fuse within like 12-18" of the battery. Otherwise it becomes a MAJOR fire hazard.
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

in response to the post right above me; it's not that it has to be that specific distance from the battery, it just has to be between the battery and the firewall. if the wire were to become bare, or if you got hit, and the wire got cut, instead of sparking, it would just pop the fuse.
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

I have the same head unit in my car, and I have no clue what u are talkin about... hooking it directly to the battery?
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
craftydarren

Post by craftydarren »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Talon_66:
I have the same head unit in my car, and I have no clue what u are talkin about... hooking it directly to the battery?<hr></blockquote><p>Yeah, that's what the manual says - do you still have it? I think you might be able to go to Alpine's site and download a .pdf version of the manual.<p>Anyway, I found the holes you guys were talking about - there were rubber stoppers over them that came off easily. Thanks a lot for all of your help!
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

I know why, its cause u run the internal amp... I don't
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”