What is TNS??

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
mattster

What is TNS??

Post by mattster »

guess what i just got a new CD player and i am a real newbie at installing it so this maybe a real stupid question. according to this wiring schematic pin "E" on the 12-pin connector is labeled "TNS". i am wondering what this is? and also just making sure that pin "C" labled "backup power" on the same connector goes to my battery, correct? please post soon so i can get this puppy in before the weekend.<p>oh yeah, should i just use butt-connectors to splice the appropriate wires or should i go out and get the correct pin connectors?<p>thanks
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
BumpNGlow

Re: What is TNS??

Post by BumpNGlow »

Its a lot easier for me to tell if I see the wire colors, but I think that TNS is going to be your ground. I don't see a ground wire labeled for anything else so that would be my guess going off of TNS.... is it a black wire??<p>And the backup power is the memory wire (usually orange, but in factory colors it could be anything). Its the wire that is always connected to your battery (w/ fuse of course).<p>I always find it easiest to get the correct kit. It'll keep it clean, allow you to put the factory HU in again if you need to, and keep the wires long enough for you to pull the HU out easily next time.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
mattster

Post by mattster »

thanks for the quick reply.<p>the wire is red with a black stripe. i don't think it is the ground because there is a big black wire that goes into a different spot. if you look at the same picture there is a black wire a little larger than the rest that connects into the spot to the left of the 12 pin connector. does this make sense?

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

o, ok, I see, Connector A is Earth.<p>I don't know what TNS stands for, use a harness and everything should be labeled and match up nicely.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

heh, i see your newer than i am,,, :D
why didnt you get a mazda harness and make your life easier man, no cutting wires nothing,,, :shrug:
mattster

Post by mattster »

i don't know why i didn't get a mazda harness. i did all the splicing and but its all working perfectly right now. i didn't worry about the one called "TNS".

^link to my V8 swap page

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”