Water Coming In

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Franko
Supporting Member

Water Coming In

Post by Franko »

I got a new stereo in the car about three months ago and today I took out my speakers today to resodder the points because they were crackly and to my suprise there was a steady stream of water coming down from inside the door right onto the speaker!! everything was wet so I checked the passenger side and it was worse.. It was raining out at the time but I really dont think that this is normal.. anyone ever heard of this happening? It is a steady drip drip drip... What can I do about it? Speakers aint waterproof!
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
novadoc

Re: Water Coming In

Post by novadoc »

<A HREF="http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 8&t=000085" TARGET=_blank>Previous thread</A><P>check that thread out man<BR>should answer your question :D
NoVa<p>Image
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

same happened to me so i went to the dollar store and bought a pack of plastic cereal bowls (4for a dollar). there yellow with a smiley face but thats besides the point.<BR>cut apiece out of one of the edhes so i can run the wires to the speaker. the bowl lip is larger then the hole in the door and after installed (door/bowl/speaker) my window rolls down perfect and no more water<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project

Post by Guest »

But by doing that your essentially making an enclosure for your speaker, and 99% of speakers out there need more airspace then a little cereal bowl can provide, so you'd be making them sound a lot worse by keeping the water out.
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

I doubt anyone is enclosing their speakers completely, but even if they are, it only reduces low end response. Running speakers with small enclosures acts like a high pass filter. As long as the cone excursion isn't a problem (cone running into enclosure) it'll probably improve the overall system.
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

a more professional option would be to go to crutchfield.com and buy some xtc baffles
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

i cut the whole bottom out of the bowl though so it just protects a little more thatn the top half of the speaker. how is this an enclosure? there was no difference in sound quality after doing this either<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

If you cut a lot out, it's not really an enclosure itself. For a container to act like an enclosure it must significantly restrict air flow in some direction, at some frequency.<P>Those crutchfield baffles are certanly more profesional, but who's gonna see em?
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”