High Output Alternator

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Palofpits

High Output Alternator

Post by Palofpits »

Has anyone installed a high amp alt. in thier car or know where I could get a good price on one for my car?I just installed a power 1000.2,punch150.2,and punch 200s in my rs and even with 2 farads of capacitance the system is sucking to much juice for the alt.<BR>Ive seen some on the net for about 500 bucks.<BR>I dont know if I should get one or just add a capacitance bank.Opinions? [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Moe_maX

Re: High Output Alternator

Post by Moe_maX »

I had the same problem, went to a local electric shop, and got buddy to beef up my alt... its know 125 amps... double what i had before... upgraded the battery, and now i'm slammin... with no power drain..<P>peace<BR>Moe_maX
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

I got one for 405$ email me and I can give you the guy's email. I ahven't installed it yet, but the guy is HEAVILY recommend on termpro.com. My alternator is 220 amps
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

1994 Mazda MX-3 <-- 152dB's w/ 1 15
> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
> Can't go to '03 USACi World Finals because I HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!
Palofpits

Post by Palofpits »

Let me know when you get that installed,i'd like to know how well it worked 4 you.<BR>Is the casing the same size as stock?<BR>How much modification to the brackets and wiring?<BR>or is that why its not in yet?
Moe_maX

Post by Moe_maX »

palofpits: you don't need A 220 amp alt for the setup you're running... a 90 - 120 amp will do, with the right battery... i installed a Optima yellow cap...<P>and i only payed $150 for the alt.<P>jus me 2 cents...<P>Moe_maX
Palofpits

Post by Palofpits »

Hey moe:The one 1000.2 amp can draw 100 amps at full power , i have a 1000 watt 2 ohm load(constant) on it, thats almost twice what the stock alt. will handle.The other option is to install a gs model alt(good 4 around 90 amps)still to low.So the best option is a custom high output alt.If I have to have one built why not shoot for around 200amps and allow some flexibility for future upgrades?
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

You can never have too much power! :mad:
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

the alternator is isntalled, but I dont' have the pictures developed yet. I couldn't find my digi, and I still can't find it...<P>to answer you questions, the alternator is a lot bigger than the stock one, but it has the same brackets on the casing. The only thing I had to do to get it to fit was one longer bolt on the bottom "saddle" bracket. It seems to work awesome. I also bought a new battery, the SVR 80-12(among the best you can get IMO). Right now, running my MMATS amp, I have yet to go below 14 volts... pretty nice IMO. I will get pics asap!
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

> Invited to '02 USACi World Finals, but did not compete due to stock alternator problems.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

I got a stock J-spec alt from a mazda millenia. Its 110 amps.<P>The alt came with my 2.5 KL-ZE engine from japan. The best alt from an amrecican mazda is the stock 1.8 GS at 90 amps.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
BumpNGlow

Post by BumpNGlow »

also, the problem w/ going w/ "beefed up" alternators that you get cheap, is that they only upgrade the wiring. They have a very limited lifespan then. They create a lot more heat than the regular alt did, and the casing is usually stock, so it can't handle the heat. Depending on the quality and the condition of the alternator, you may get 6 months or 6 years out of it....<P>Before spending a ton of money on the alternator though, try just upgrading your battery, and upgrading your ground wire... those things can help a TON.
FOR SALE, AS A PARTS CAR

Palofpits

Post by Palofpits »

must be nice to have that thing under the hood.<BR>ive decided to go with something custom,<BR>my wiring is very solid and ive got a new interstate deep cycle batt. <BR>i just wanted to know how smooth the install would be because i havent put one on an mx-3 <BR>it doesnt seem to be too much of a hassle.(besides the $$$)<BR>thanx for the info

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”