Help... sub and amp not working

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Moe_maX

Re: Help... sub and amp not working

Post by Moe_maX »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mx-k:<BR><STRONG>Hey guys I'm having a serious problem with this damn amp I've installed. Seems that I have a power problem somewhere because the amp power light is flickering on and off and the sub is not producing any sound. Even worse is now my car keeps dropping really low in RPM's in burst like its not getting enough power, but this only happens when I'm stopped... any ideas?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What amp are you trying to run? What size power wire are you running to the amp? <P>it might be as simple as a bad ground... make sure the ground wire is touching only metal, if there is a little bit of paint on the metal this is known to happen.<P> As for the RPM's most likely the power wire too small.
mazda_stud

Post by mazda_stud »

I agree it is most likely a ground problem that would cause your amp not to work. As for your rpms, dosen't sound like a install problem it might me a moduale or a alternator problem. How long has the amp been in the car? How big is the amp? how big is the fuse in the actual amp? Like how low are the rpms when this happens? Try a multi- meter at the battery and see how many volts your car is sitting at when it is on idle. Then start turning on stuff in your car to see if your alternator can handle the load your puttin on it. If the volt meter drops alot there is a good chance that it is hooched. Let me know
LIFE IS A HIGHWAY I WANT TO DRIVE IT ALL NIGHT LONG!
mzdspd

Post by mzdspd »

It could have too small of an alternator you need between 70 and 90 amp for your car. As for the sub check the RCA cable on the amp and the stereo and make sure it is hooked up. Also check the speaker wire at the amp, going into the box, and hooked up to the sub. Maybe your friend screwed you over and sold you a busted amp.
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

Most alt. will charge at 13.5-14.5 volts.<BR>You might have a diode problem in the rectifier bridge of the alternator.<P>Basicly you need an alternator. :( <BR> :( test the alt at a garage and make sure the batt. is still good.
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”