My car audio setup

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Len-Dogg

My car audio setup

Post by Len-Dogg »

Due to strange speaker sizes and the car being so small, it can be hard to get a nice system installed in an MX-3. Here is what I did to my MX-3.<BR>First I installed a Blaupunkt Key Largo reciever. It fit very nicely in place of the stock reciever, and I did not have to use any mounting brackets. I did use a wiring harness though, which makes it very easy to plus right into the factory wiring. Then I went to replace the front speakers. I bought some 5.25" Pioneer speakers, because that is what the Crutchfield guide says is the right size. Well, it's not. Neither is 6.5". It's really somewhere in between. So I had to make some brackets. You can buy them from crutchfield, but they wanted to charge something like $12 a piece for them! Rip-off. Just find some flat plastic. You can either buy it from a hardware store, or find some around the house. In my case, I had two frisbees, and I used the flat surface from that. Then remove a stock front speaker, and trace out the outer plastic speaker design onto your plastic. This gives you a template to work with. Now cut this out, and also cut out a whole in the center for your 5.25" speaker. Now you can screw the 5.25" speaker into the plastic brackets, and then in turn screw the brackets into the car. Since they are the exact shape of the ones that were originally in the car, they will fit perfectly. Now 5.25" or even 6.5" speakers for the back are rediculous. What I did to get 6x9's installed was the create a new hatch cover. I used 5/8" particle board, and I even built enclosures for the 6x9's. I used the hinges and rope from the original hatch cover. Just be careful and measure everything well, and it will be real nice. Last step is to add some real bass. You can either put a small sub in the trunk, or some other alternative. I am thinking of putting some "Bass Shakers" made by Aura under my front seats. I guess we will have to see about that.<BR>Good luck with your systems!<BR>Jason<BR>
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”