junkyard etiquette

Off-Topic Discussions
ZEmadman

junkyard etiquette

Post by ZEmadman »

hey guys i was just wondering if there is any proper etiquette when going to the junkyard? i've never been and dont want to look like a fool when i get there. do i just ask to look around? or do i tell them what i want and they'll go get it? how does it work? i know every place is gunna be different but what have been your experiences, if any? im on the hunt this weekend for a rear hatch, linkage for my shifter, and possibly a millenia intake for my future ze swap.

thanks
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: junkyard etiquette

Post by mitmaks »

depends on junk yard but usually theyll ride with you out in yard and you show them what you want and theyll take it off for you, theres some cheaper junk yards like "UPULL-IT" and you come with your own tools and take stuff off, but local one doesnt let you bring torches etc, just mechanical tool set
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

the u-pullit yards are the best place to go for a few simple reasons....

you might not know the name of something but you know where to find it and know what it looks like and it would be quicker if you were to go get it.

you may find a hidden gem somewhere in the yard.

if you want to find a part and they dont have any from the mx3 you can go to another car to get it (i.e a pulley from the k series)

you tend to get better prices when the guys dont have to spend their day pulling parts off a car for you
ZEmadman

Post by ZEmadman »

thanks for the tips guys, i guess i'll just go in and ask if i can have a look around and tell them that im lookin for a bunch of different parts...hopefully the yards i go to are the "u pull it" kind
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

most yards that I've been too, I bring my socket set, and take the parts off myself. Bring them up to the front and pay for them. usually you just ask if you can take a look around, find the part your looking for, ask if you can take it. he will usually give you 2 prices, one is if you take it off yourself, and the next if he does it.

I've also had places that wont even let you walk around. You have to ask, and then wait there. I dont recommend those.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
ZEmadman

Post by ZEmadman »

yeah, i dont think i'd be too comfortable w/someone following me around, and not taking off everything that i might need and then charge me even though i could have done it myself

well wish me luck, tomorrow is the big day
jplar

Post by jplar »

Have fun man. Personally I love going to junkyards to see all sorts of cars. I went to a u pull it and I remembering seeing a 2nd gen RX7 there. I went there twice to pull all the interior trim parts from an mx3 and that RX7 went from looking fixable to absolutely decrepit.
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

ya ive gone to one of those yards where they dont let you walk around. it was so frustrating because i could see the mx3 sitting in the yard about 50 yards away. grrr lol
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

I went to a j/y where to buy the spoiler, you must by the entire hatch ($350). Or the rear mud guards came with the entire rear bumper. Oh, and the inner door panel required the purchase of the entire door. I don't recommend anything but "you pulls" - they kick ***
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Gimpmonkey

Post by Gimpmonkey »

Yeah, the u-pull people rocks, bring your own gear. Most of the people in the yard are generally nice, some loaned me their tools when I needed it. Have fun.
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

I know you've already made your trip, but FYI: most of the yards around me charge a dollar or two for a look-around.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

1. Don't try to kick the watchDog
2. Bring your own tools, do not ask to borrow any
3. leave your gf at home, if not then accept them boys will be "looking' her over.
4. do not climb or get under them cars
5. put all those small parts (that u took of the cars) in you pocket but do not let others see u do it
6. Rememeber #1, u cant outrun him/them
7. do not use the junkyard as a picnic area with ur g/f
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i dont know what it is about some people at junk yards. usually they are nice. but then theres always those ones who are so ignorant and rude for no reason and assume you are stealing everything. im sure some of you have run into these people.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

rule number 8. Dont go to the junk yard after a heavy rain. It will be a swamp of mud.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

8A.. after a rain, if u take your G/fs you can not charge for admission to mud wrestling
9 no u can not take one of those cars "to adore your frontyard"
10. if the guy with the missing tooth smiles at you, do not let him go with you to the back to "help you take a part of a car"
10. no tipping...to the ppl nor the cars

Return to “Off-Topic”