Does a muffler need a baffle to be legal?

Off-Topic Discussions
Tyler17rose

Does a muffler need a baffle to be legal?

Post by Tyler17rose »

I just got a ticket for my muffler :mad: . He said it was too loud and because he just gave another person a ticked for their muffler he has to be fair and give me one. :mad: . The thing is i seen him before he could hear me and kept my exhaust silent. (if i cruise at a constant speed it makes no noise at all) I was doing 60 in a 60 minding my own buissness and he took off after me wove in between cars to catch up then followed me for a bit and finally pulled me over. :mad: . Should i fight the ticket? Its 110 bucks! :mad:

Alright i'm done venting. But ya does a muffler need a baffle to be legal? People are telling me if i go to court thats what they will base the ticket on. So i cant win.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
marshmallow15

Re: Does a muffler need a baffle to be legal?

Post by marshmallow15 »

no it doesn't. a baffle/silencer usually only hides around 2db. what you can do is get your muffler tested somewhere that has a db meter of some sort and show the courts your results and this:

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted
by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance
with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits
established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with
Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an
exhaust system so modified.

The allowed dbA for cars under 6000 lbs is 95 (which is a lot louder than you would think).

Cops have been giving out citations for this violation without really knowing the meaning of "modified" as it's stated in the law. In order to clear things up, SEMA and the CHP helped resolve some issues and as a result the CHP posted a bulletin. Here is an excerpt to that:

Q2 Aren't all exhaust system modifications prohibited?

No. Section 27151 VC prohibits the modification of the exhaust system to
amplify or increase the noise emitted by the vehicle, making the vehicle not
in compliance with Section 27150 VC or exceeding the noise limits established
in Sections 27201-27206 VC. Section 27151 VC does not prohibit all
modifications to an exhaust system. It also does not prohibit all
modifications that increase the noise level of the exhaust system over that
of the original, factory-installed exhaust system (as it did until 1980). It
only prohibits modifications that result in a noise level higher than those
specified in Sections 27201-27206 VC. Accurately determining compliance with
Sections 27201-27206 VC for enforcement purposes is generally impractical.
Enforcement personnel must make an informed professional evaluation to
detem-iine if excessive noise statutes are being violated.

Q4 Does an aftermarket replacement or modified tailpipe or muffler tip
constitute a violation of section 27151 VC?

No. Section 27151 VC prohibits the modification of exhaust systems to amplify
or increase noise. The officer would have to establish that the modification
increased the noise emitted by the vehicle by listening to the exhaust. In
general, exhaust system piping, tubing, fittings, cosmetic tips or other
passive devices placed behind the muffler have minimal impact on exhaust
system sound levels.

most cops dont have mobile db testers.. they just thing something loud and usually annoying will be loud enough for the illegal db limit.. but most of the time they pull over cars with low db mufflers and just assume its the illegal limit.

btw i still have that baffle i was gonna sell you before.. sorry i haven't gotten back to you on that its been a while and ive been very busy. if you're still interested let me know.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
rancid420potheadpunk

Post by rancid420potheadpunk »

i got the crap scared outa me today. i was driveing down this road at 38(speed limit is 40)and this cop pulls a u-turn right behind me and starts to follow me. i tried to keep the rpms as low as possible cause my car is LOUD (it has NO muffler, it was cut off before i got it)and i paused my cd player so id be on "silent running" and at this intersection be flew past me and nailed some other guy, i let a little laugh go cause i bet the cop was pissed at me by then (i slowed done to 35 or so just to be safe).
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

So marsh lets say i got ahold of a DB meter measured my DB rating and went to court and faught against it that way i'd win? Are you sure the 95DB is the limit in ontario? Where can i find out the limit or law for around here.. i tried searching google and got nothing. I may be interested in the baffle. Aslong as its under less then 20cnd shipped, cause i can get one around here brand new for that.

Later.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

oh well in ontario canada, idno if it'll apply. here it definitely does. im sure you can find some type of law book or go to your local police station and request what the legal limit is and get that proof on paper, THEN test your muffler. im sure the legal limit in canada can't be TOO low.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
mx3chom

Post by mx3chom »

Man am I glad I live in Indiana. No one will ever mention the words emissions or db. Its nice never to have to worry bout that BS!

Later,
Dominic
RIP 95 rs
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

Quiet you :mad:
Mods:

johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

Ottawa May have a strict noise law. I've been to some towns and was pulled over for my exhaust. Luckily I got out of it by putting in my silencer and showing the cop i can be quiet. You'd have to check on your municipal laws as well as the highway traffic act because some municipalities have noise pollution laws against cars that make any loud noises (Exhaust, Stereos, Squealing tires) I know for a fact that in Sundridge ont. you can get pulled over for your stereo because i was and mine isnt that loud.
Spydie

Post by Spydie »

I'd just go ahead and fight it. He didn't have a db meter. so he was only guessing.
It's like getting a speeding ticket because the cop thought you were going too fast.
He's gotta have proof.
http://members.cardomain.com/spydie
"So I said to my one legged wife, I said...'Peg', you're 'cut-off'."
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

I read somewhere that there is no specified rating for ontario. Its all up to the officer's discretion. So basically just because he was being an *** i'm out 110 bucks. :confused:

I think i'm gona go to court and plead guilty with a explaination and hope for the ticket to be reduced. Thats my only shot really.
Mods:

Return to “Off-Topic”