Engine Swap Questions??

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Tric

Engine Swap Questions??

Post by Tric »

Ok so I think i'm gona go ahead with an engine swap now my question here is I have a 93 - Mx3 1.6l SOHC engine in my car now and I plane on getting a Protege DX engine 1.8l SOHC (B8-ME) to put in now the wireing harrness is the same from what I read but would I have to use the computer from the protege DX?? I hopeing I can just drop this engine in with no mods as if it was the MX-3 engine!! LOL

The Other question was will the Exhaust manifold from the Protege hook up with my Exhaust system?

<small>[ December 17, 2004, 12:12 PM: Message edited by: Tric ]</small>
OsoSlo z28

Re: Engine Swap Questions??

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

your car, your choice. i ask one question though. why would you go from one crappy motor to another crappy motor?
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

B8ME is not a crappy motor....its robust & will give you OKish performance and great fuel economy (about the same as you are already getting)

it'll directly bolt in and all the wiring is the same too. Its definitely the easiest "upgrade" you can do to your SOHC mx3.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i'm sorry, but an increase in only 15hp and 13 ft-lbs does not constitute "okish" performance. for the trouble of putting the motor in, it's just not worth it IMO. being that he has a sohc, the bp seems to be a much more reasonable choice, which would bring "okish" performance. the bp is a much better platform to build on, and is still a pretty simple swap. then again, that's just me.

<small>[ December 17, 2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: OsoSlo z28 ]</small>
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Tric

Post by Tric »

The reason I want to stick to the SOHC engines is for towing my JETSKI I do free sytle jetskin so alot of driving with it behinde the MX-3 The SOHC seems to pull better at the lower RPM's.. and the other reason is I want to be able to just drop an engine rate in and do it cheep cause I don't have might time or cash going to school and all! the BP mabey down the road!!

Umm so can I use the same computer from my 1.6L B6-ME for the 1.8L B8-ME engine??
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

I just did a BP swap, and it is stronger in the lower RPMs too. I live on a hill, and several of the turns required me to downshift all the way to 1st, and now I can do them in 2nd. These are slow tight turns that are momentarily quite steep.

If you want to stick with a SOHC, I would stick with the original 1.6L (B6-ME). It is even less hassle than the 1.9L SOHC, and then you won't have problems getting it smogged, or getting it serviced, or whatever. You might be able to find someone doing a BP swap and get the SOHC that they are pulling out.
Tric

Post by Tric »

ya the B8-ME is hard to find called someplaces today and no-one had any!! guess I will have to do some more searching!
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

now what was wrong with your sohc? I have one i just pulled out for my beautiful b6t it has 207,xxx miles but very well maintained. If you need parts lemme know i can pull them off and let you know.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

if fuel economy is an issue, don't go with the DOHC. The sohc 1.8 delivers just as much power up until 4000 (at which point the DOHC definitely excels).

The 1.8 SOHC delivers equal fuel econ to the 1.6 16v SOHC....the bp delivers much less and IMO isn't worth it if all you really want is a replacement engine.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Tric

Post by Tric »

I want the B8-ME because my engine (B6-ME) has over 500,000km on it and it has a burred valve so I’m running low compression in the on cylinder 185,175, 60,185psi!! So rater then replacing the head or getting it fix I might as well get a SOHC B8-ME if I can find one!! And get a few extra HP well I’m at it!! And the other reason is I hear that I can just drop the B8-ME in and use the same computer! And everything the other reason is because with 500,000km and a new top end could cause problems with the lower end with the engine that is in it now with such high KM. so I’m thinking new engine.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”