need help quick please, car dieing

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
dj inferno

need help quick please, car dieing

Post by dj inferno »

hey, i got a 92 4cyl, sohc, w/ an CAI... umm thats basicly all the info i think u would need... ne ways, after driving for about a min. or so, when i let off the gass to turn a corner, or sumtimes just to stop all my car will kinda hesitate, then all the sudden stall, it started out as just a hesitation, i would take it out of gear, rev it up, and thro it back in gear and off i was, but about the third time, it just died, and it will do it now every like 1/4 mile. i've only drove the car today about 10 miles, and it just started today, just replaced the fuel filter, and i tryed my O2 sencor from my other mx3, i looked at the intake to see if there was a possible spot that uncencored air could be leaking in and i didn't see ne thing... let me know what i can do PLEASE!!!! THX!!
OsoSlo z28

Re: need help quick please, car dieing

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

when was the last time you replaced the cap/rotor?

also check for vac leaks.

<small>[ November 04, 2004, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: OsoSlo z28 ]</small>
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

dn/ on the cap/rotor, and umm how do i check the vac. leaks?
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

I am not a machanic in any way, but I would assume your idle is just too low. That would be my guess. But that wouldn't explain why it just started yesterday... Maybe you have a fuel leak or your fuel filter isn't a high enough flow??? Seeing that the problem strted after you replaced that... Also maybe check all of your plugs and wires for erosion. I know my wire from the coil to the cap was all rusty.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

since your car stalled, and it would be great to guess and get lucky.

I suggest pulling the cel code that is probably in the computer.

Do a search for the how too - search for cel code or trouble code or jumper 10 to gnd

You'll find it. Then post the code your car has.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

The 1.6L SOHC in the 1991-93 MX-3 is notorious for having idle problems. You can search and come up with more info than you can imagine.

You also might try replacing (or cleaning) the PCV valve since it is only a few bucks.
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

i replaced the fuel filter cuz i thought it would help.. didn't help... its not the idel problem, thats a whole nother story, i was told fuel pressure reg... it aslo might be my master cyl. cuz i have a clutch issue too, when i put my car in gear, and have the clutch disengaged, if the car is on, it will try to start going, if i give it gass i could drive with it like that untill i let off the clutch (which wont really do ne thing at that time) then push it back in... mast cly??
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

i checked for ne codes, and nothing came up, i did the ten/grd, and then turn the car to the on position, the cel came on, and stayed on for a sec, then just turned off
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I recently had a similar problem. Turned out to be a defective cam angle sensor which doesn't trigger the CEL or store a code. I had to replace the whole distributor since it is not avaiable as a seperate part.
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

can i take on off my other mx-3, i got 3 of them, one for parts (but its a GS) and one w/ a engien but im gonna take it out so i dont need it... ne thing else i can try? it almost seems like its flooding... u think its a fuel presser reg.? or maybe my fuel pump?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

my guess is that it has something to do with the clutch. as the clutch gets worse, it's disengaging the clutch less and less, keeping a slight load on the tranny. it might be borderline to when you have it in gear and let off the clutch completely and stalls. just a thought.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

it might have sumin to do wit that fact i been drivin wit clutch/brake fluid under min. for like a month or so.. lol but i filled it up and nothin happend... it also never triggered my CEL so im sure it cant be TOO low...
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

Originally posted by dj inferno:
it might have sumin to do wit that fact i been drivin wit clutch/brake fluid under min. for like a month or so..
why wouldn't you fill it right away??? you're lucky you didn't kill yourself or someone else.

anyways...is your car stalling when the clutch is engaged or disengaged? or both? does it still stall when you have it in neutral?
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

i know... ne ways, i woulda fild it up but i never noticed it was low... took it into the shop up the street and they said that its got like 3 diff. leeks from the transaxle, and the master cyl. and a few other things... there decent ppl tho, they want $300 (150 parts)(USD). they did my clutch too. so its gettin fixed today... im just glad i didn;t wast time switchin up distys, and al that good stuff. thx for the help.
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

new update (for thos that even care)...
got the car and still staled out every time i let off the gass for a sec. so i brought my car back (pissed off and all) and he told me he thought it was my tp sensor, or my MAF, i told him i got them both in my car at home, got home and threw the MAF, then went for the TPS but its diff cuz my other mx is a auto, so i tryed... still nothin... went to work (in my moms car) got home (at 9:45) and decided it had to be the damn fuel pump... took mine out my other MX, and (after undoing all the rusted *** bolts) put that in my mx, drove it and IT FINALY WORKS!!!! IM SOO Happy it work now... kinda pissed i had to work in the dark but thank god for 1000 watt halagen lights... but ne ways... jsut thought i would let ya;ll know incase u got the same issue.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”