turbo or super?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Acamori

turbo or super?

Post by Acamori »

ok, so i know that superchargers and turbochargers do essitially the same thing but are driven differently. my question is which is better. i've heard that turbos end up with a slight lag between hitting the pedal and getting the boost, which i can understand. seems to me like a supercharger wouldn't get the lag, but it drags the crankshaft instead. so if anyone can tell me which they think is better...

(and don't even start with the "oh just replace your engine" crap because i don't want to.)
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
xian55x

Re: turbo or super?

Post by xian55x »

i was wondering the same, also what turbos or superchargers would fit on a BP engine?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

a turbo is better for a few reasons.

turbo's are more effecient seeing that they use wasted exhaust gases to create power, whereas the s/c uses power from the engine to create power.

turbo's are also more effecient because they create a lower charge temperature than s/c's do. heat is the enemy of horsepower, so the lower your temps, the more potential for extra horsepower.

on a totally different plane, to setup a s/c on the 4cyl isn't an easy job. for the turbo side of the house, you have turbo's and manifolds from other model cars that will fit.

on the question about which turbo is best, to be honest, there isn't one. learn how to read compressor maps and figure out what you want this turbo to do and when. then go from there.

<small>[ October 15, 2004, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: OsoSlo z28 ]</small>
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Acamori

Post by Acamori »

yeah i was talking to some other friends of mine and from what they were saying, a turbo would be better for my car, now i just have to figure out everything else about installing one....
1/4 complete system---->carstereo.com
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

T3's are probably the most commonly used 1st turbo in the setups. Unless you go for big right off the bat. Also if you are good at welding there are a lot of shortcuts you can take to get a whole turbo setup for like $800.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”