some engine/intake questions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CarMan1

some engine/intake questions

Post by CarMan1 »

ok, first off, on top of the intake box, the stock one, is a silver cap with a wire with a connector running to it, when u put a performance intake on, do u need to plug the plug back into anywhere, or does it just stay unplugged? also, i accidently took the thing the plug does plug into outta the thing it goes in on the silver cap to the intake box, i tried to rehook the wires inside it, but i dont think i did it right. i know that cant be good.. any ideas here?

also, atm i got my car running, it idles good, but as soon as i hit the gas, the car bogs down and chokes. i dont have my intake on,and its running straight off the throttle body, do i need to put some type of intake on? is this my prob? any ideas/answers would be awsomely appriciated, thanks again...

EDIT- im not putting the car in gear when it chokes, just leaving it in neutral.. have a 5 speed

<small>[ October 11, 2004, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: CarMan1 ]</small>
Zetgohan

Re: some engine/intake questions

Post by Zetgohan »

"i accidently took the thing the plug does plug into outta the thing it goes in on the silver cap to the intake box, i tried to rehook the wires inside it, but i dont think i did it right. i know that cant be good.. any ideas here?"

whu? please explain a little better

as for the second part, that's not good for your car, and its bogging because your MAF isn't where it belongs
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

i figured out what it was, i gotta get the maf hooked back up, im fairly certain thats why its bogging down
CarMan1

Post by CarMan1 »

although ,if i went to a performance cold air intake, the OEM maf wont fit it, so would i have to upgrade my ecu? thats what im most curious about, since im looking at a new intake fairly soon
mykel78

Post by mykel78 »

I'm presuming you have SOHC. Yup, MAF has to be operable or the car won't be. An aftermarket Intake should come with an adaptor for it.
If not broke - don't fix, modify. If broke - fix it right, and make it better.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”