Alternator....again?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Brainless

Alternator....again?

Post by Brainless »

Hi

For the last week, my charge check light has been lighting up sometimes when I start my car. I'm guessing this is a problem with my alternator. (the light goes out as soon as I hit the gas)

The problem is, I changed my alternator last year. The other problem is, 6 months before I changed that alternator, I changed my alternator another time.

So I had to change it twice in less than 2 years and now it's starting act wierd again.

I know the mx-3 is know for alternator problem but 3 times in almost 2 years isn't normal. Could the problem be related to something else?
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Franko
Supporting Member

Re: Alternator....again?

Post by Franko »

You know what, I am noticing that my alternator is starting to do that too.. it is like it is putting out a very low voltage when you first start the car.. At night all the lights are very dim and then when you give it a little gas it perks right up.. I might put the alternator that was with the bpt back on it.. It should have less km on it then the one that was on my old engine. (I changed alternators because I thought it was making a noise but it was something else.)
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Ya, the RS alternators don't have long lives. I replaced mine when I first got the car and the battery, and it only lasted about a year. So i was going to put an amp and sub in soo. I got my alternator rewound from 70amps to 85amp output, and got an optimum battery (any deep cycle battery is great).
I've had this setup for just over three years, works great!!!
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Exit 716

Post by Exit 716 »

Did you take your car to the same mechanic all three times?
My wife and I purchased a 1995 in August.
The serpentine belt snapped on the car. I had it towed to my former mechanic. He replaced the belt. Two days later the belt snapped again.
He then said the car needed an altenator.
It worked fine for three days then the belt started squealing.
It went in to be tightened.
A week later the belt snapped.
This time we went to a Canadian Tire.
The belt was replaced and apparently installed properly.
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Check/inspect/clean/tighten your cable connections, especialy the ground connection on the chassis. If they are corroded you alt is working overtime.

DONT get an alternator from Autozone (or its equivalent). They are crap. I have even had Autozone employees tell that to me. Its one thing to hear it on the street, but when the people working there tell you to get it somewhere else, heed the advice.

Also if you are running lights, a computer, DVD, and a stereo with 12 speakers and a 12 trillion watt amp it makes it that much worse.

My '93 is still on its original alt, at 148k miles.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Originally posted by guyaverage:
Check/inspect/clean/tighten your cable connections, especialy the ground connection on the chassis. If they are corroded you alt is working overtime.

DONT get an alternator from Autozone (or its equivalent). They are crap. I have even had Autozone employees tell that to me. Its one thing to hear it on the street, but when the people working there tell you to get it somewhere else, heed the advice.

Also if you are running lights, a computer, DVD, and a stereo with 12 speakers and a 12 trillion watt amp it makes it that much worse.

My '93 is still on its original alt, at 148k miles.
I agree...
Installation error and cheap alternators are to be avoided.

My alternator has been going strong for over 10 years and over 190,000 miles. :froggie_red:

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”