16 mpg

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
AllisMitchChalmers

16 mpg

Post by AllisMitchChalmers »

Ok this I dont understand. Why the hell does a car thats supposed to get like 30 r 40 sumthing mpg have 16 mpg? I know I have posted topics like this MANY times before and never got a good answer. I just replaced the spark plug wires today because its been a drag nasty car. That helped a little bit. Right now im in the process of gettin the new distributor cap and rotor button on but i cant seem to get it on. No matter what i do i wont go on there. But any way im going to buy a new fuel filter to put on there. Would that be the reason that im getting such horrible gas mileage? Somebody please help me because this thing is hurtin my wallet in gas. My check engine light isnt on or anything like that. Just doesnt get up and go like it supposed to and gets bad gas mileage. You think i would get bad mileage and have **** loads of power! Help is very appreciated! thanks
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: 16 mpg

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Hey there Hennasee, ya seem kinda tense. Why dontcha fire one up, grab a beer and step back from the frustration for a sec.

You don't say what model ya have but I'm thinking the crappy mileage is a bad 02 sensor. (If a GS, you have 2 sensors). Unusually lousy mileage degradation often indicates this, especially if you have 100K or more and it's never been replaced. When the 02 sensor flakes out it leaves the engine constantly guessing at 02 levels in the exhaust stream and that function is part of what controls the air/fuel mixture. So, your mileage starts getting lousy in a fairly short time.

A bad fuel filter shouldn't really affect your mileage. If anything, it would starve your fuel supply rate instead of the opposite.

Gave a response re your rotor button in your other topic post.

<small>[ August 28, 2004, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by Hennasee:
Ok this I dont understand. Why the hell does a car thats supposed to get like 30 r 40 sumthing mpg have 16 mpg? I know I have posted topics like this MANY times before and never got a good answer.
Dude, I just realized I gave ya the same answer on this topic ya posted 2-3 weeks ago. Well, have you replaced the 02 sensor since then? If not, do that before ranting about not getting good answers. If you did replace it and the mileage still sucks, then at least say so in your new post so I'm not wasting time... mine or yours. :roll:
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Air filter, MAF, O2, Under inflated tires, dirty/pretoleum based oil, brakes sticking, timing wayyyyyy off, bad driving? All of the above could play a factor, thus I would check the above list if you havent recently.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
BuGS

Post by BuGS »

Originally posted by MX3-Freak:
Air filter, MAF, O2, Under inflated tires, dirty/pretoleum based oil, brakes sticking, timing wayyyyyy off, bad driving? All of the above could play a factor, thus I would check the above list if you havent recently.
Don't forget about dirty Injectors too. I went from 28 mpg to 40.81 after i cleaned mine.
AllisMitchChalmers

Post by AllisMitchChalmers »

Well the dealer told me if it was the o2 sensor then the check engine light would come on. It is an auto if i didnt post that. I noticed that it doesnt coast down hills like my Caddy. It was wrecked and has new r&p steerin in it. After it was wrecked, it sat in a refridgeration business for 4 years. Im thinking that could be my problem is the 4 years. I apreciate yalls help.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

the CEL dont always come on when they go bad
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
h8ter

Post by h8ter »

Dude, if the problem persists I would check the timing. My mother-in-law's Camry just had the timing belt replaced recently and those knucklheads didn't put the disty back in properly (off by a tooth). As a result the timing was way off. I'm guessing the ECU was trying to compensate as the car would seem to idle/drive as normal. Well that is with the exception of all power. The car felt like a million years old and running on one cylinder, crappy mileage to boot. Well after I re-adjusted it it ran like a champ and was getting good fuel economy again. So if the O2 doesn't do it for ya then go for the timing.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”