BP strengths/weakness

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
What

BP strengths/weakness

Post by What »

Just trying to search through old posts, but all I see are comments like 'boost and BPZE = yayyy!' and such helpful tidbits. Anything a little more concrete?

Closed deck= good for boost.

crank/rods/pistons/etc? what kind of power can the bottom end of the BP take?

I saw some 1.6dohc build up pictures, got an idea of construction of those motors (very nice), any 1.8 build up pictures?

I should probably join up on some miata or protege forum as they probably have more guys that play with them.
torpedan

Re: BP strengths/weakness

Post by torpedan »

Your best bets on the bottom end will come from other forums.

Although last i heard when i was paying attetion a stock miata bottom end mangaged 471whp

I seem to remember a number before that being a reliable 399whp.

The transmission will blow up long before the motor.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the average is roughly 400whp. this is all relative based on condition of the motor and the amount of PROPER tuning. the rods and pistons tend to hold up pretty well, it's the caps that tend to be the weakest link.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
What

Post by What »

Sounds like a rare few motors and finding the right car is why I've been reluctant to pick up a different vehicle for soo long. I don't like cars that need $$$$$ for potential. At least putting an affordable motor in a car that already has high mileage engine and could use a rebuild anyway seems to make more sense to me. The turbo stuff from there should go on well enough. I've built a flow bench, and have a history of tuning vehicles... now to make space in the garage for BP parts to bring home when I can find something at a good deal.

Any issues with the head? Exhaust valve longevity with boost is good with proper porting then?
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the bp head flows excellent. some say to use a 99 miata, but it's too much of a hassle to me with rerouting coolant passages/lines. a pro lx/egt with a good port/polish along with a nice set of stainless valves and good springs will give you a bulletproof setup with excellent flow numbers. if you get a chance, snag some bpt cams along with a gt-r intake manifold unless you'll be making your own.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”