Check engine light is on?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Thestef

Check engine light is on?

Post by Thestef »

Hi guys, I have an 1993 Mazda Precidia, 1.6L 4Cyl, SOHC.

The orange check engine light started coming on not to long ago on the car. It will only turn on once the car is at its full operating tempeture and once I start doing highway driving, 50Mph and up or 80Km and up.

I'm wondering if any one can tell me if I can pull the error code from the cars computer without a scanning tool? I'm hopping its nothing serious and just a sensor.

I changed and checked the oil and I've replaced the air filter as well and did a coolant change a few weeks ago, and all seems ok visualy with the car.

Thanks guys!
Thestef

Re: Check engine light is on?

Post by Thestef »

Were are the experts?
mykel78

Post by mykel78 »

I'm not an expert, but I do remember reading posts about CEL and how to obtain codes. There was discussion on pretty recently. You will need a paper clip and to know where the diagnostic connector is so you can jump 2 terminals. There's also a post that explains the codes, how to read and clear them when problem is fixed. I suggest using search, check engine light, and all the information you need should show itself to you. Good luck!!
If not broke - don't fix, modify. If broke - fix it right, and make it better.
Thestef

Post by Thestef »

I should of though of a search before posting
Thanks for the help, I found what I need
Thestef

Post by Thestef »

I just took the car for a drive, I put some gas and put a bit of oil in it, it was almost on the LOW indicator.

The check engine light didn't come on, but I checked the error code after the drive and it came up with the following codes.

Code 15 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (Inactivation)
Code 17 - Closed Loop system

I'm guessing the reason I have the closed loop system is because of a faulty oxigen sensor, but now I'm starting to wonder if maybe I just got some bad gas?

I think I'll wait to see if the check engine light turn on, if it does should I change the Oxigen sensor?
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

I would. How many miles you have on the current 02 sensor? If near 100K or more and you're pulling that code, replace it or your mileage and performance would suffer if that's not already happening.
Thestef

Post by Thestef »

Its the original O2 sensor, the car has
168 000KM or 105 000 miles.

I think I will be changing it, its not hard to reach at all and I know were it is, but I hope its will come out of the exhaust manifold without breaking or without any problems.

Thanks for the help guys!
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Give the old 02 sensor threads a decent soaking with PB Blaster (best penetrating threadbuster stuff available). If ya can't find that stuff, liquid wrench will probably do the job. Spray it on when the manifold is still warm (not too hot, the stuff is flammable). Then tap the base of the sensor a couple times with a hammer or wrench and let it sit overnight. The tapping sets up vibrations that help the penetrating fluid reach the threads. Should be removable without problems after that...
Ehpl

Post by Ehpl »

you might want to get the special socket for removing oxygen sensors (not expensive) and and a torch to heat the surrounding metal. I didnt have one an had a hell of a time removing mine , I had the iron manifold off of the engine an still had to cut it out with oxygen acetolyne to trasnsfer it ovet to the headers i put on my engine.

Eugene L
94 rs dohc
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384
Thestef

Post by Thestef »

I'll soak it with some "crown" its like commercial WD40 but twice as strong. If it won't come out I'll let it soak over night like you said and if it still won't come out I'll have to have my step dad use the blow torches on it (he's own a body shop). He once told me they were sometimes suckers to take out.

The help is really appreciated guys

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”