Couldn't obtain engine codes with paperclip. Now what?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jumboplay

Couldn't obtain engine codes with paperclip. Now what?

Post by jumboplay »

I did the paper clip jump to check what my Check Engine Light meant as per many sets of directions I've found in posts and on the net. Nothing happens. No flashing lights, no noises, no animated dolphins, nothing. Anyone ever run into this problem? MY CEL came on last night for no obvious reason (is there ever? hmm) and I was looking forward to figuring this out. I put the car into the ignition position, the CEL lit up, and nothing. Blah. And, just in case someone thinks they're funny, YES, the paper clip was metal. Hehe. Help would be appreciated!
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
hgallegos915

Re: Couldn't obtain engine codes with paperclip. Now what?

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm doesnt that mean the the ecu has no codes to show??
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

now could it be your car is OBDII since its a 96 or is it still OBDI, might be part of the issue here
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

I wouldn't know if it was OBDII or not. It was OBDI until 95, right? I doubt they would change it for one last model year...but I don't know that. If it was OBDII, is a humble paperclip just not good enough? Damn it...hehe
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
funkyfreak

Post by funkyfreak »

well from what I've figured out you're car is an OBDII (cause its a 96, like mine). Which means if you want to pull error codes (like I need to do) you will need to hook it up to a computer and have the codes read.

It sucks... :cry: ...... I now wanna buy one

Oh and you even say you have an OBDII
1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted

and now that I look at the date ... I notice that you probably know that!! :)
92rsmx-3

Post by 92rsmx-3 »

just go to autozone they check them for free
95 Eagle Talon Tsi - New Toy
92 Mazda MX-3 RS - probably selling
86 Mazda Rx-7 - motor blew going 145
86 1/2 Toyota Supra - pissed me off sold it
91 Taurus... SHO - died

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”