very upset...major tranny problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mxprecidia

very upset...major tranny problem

Post by mxprecidia »

just did my auto to manual swap 3000 miles ago...ran perfect...except the passenger side axle was a b!tch to get in..i had to force it in but loosening the tranny from the block, attachign the axle, then tightening the tranny...lately my car was sort of squeaking (a quiet one) on the passenger side when i was moving and louder when i hit the gas but the noise came and gone and i paid no attention to it thinking the tranny was just settling..made sense to me that it has to settle in...anyway this weekend i drove 2 hours to the shore and was driving around town for a while, car was fine then i came to a stop sign and it kind of jolted...it i couldnt get it into first, then i played with it, then i got it into first when the car jumped...then the car wasnt moving...i had the clutch all the way up...then after tuning the car off and starting it again a few times it finally went but it is stuck in first...it wont come out of first...i got home and all the gear oil was on the ground..went to mechanic and he said it looks like its leaking from ur transaxle so something is probly wrong with ur transaxle...so when he said that i thought about the axle that was hard to get in..maybe there was too much pressure on it?? took it to another guy and he said its leakin from the bellhousing...so i might of cracked a seal..he said it looks like it ****ed up from hard shifting...the clutch is engaging but its not allowing the tranny to shift gears..he said my gears might have to be aligned..he aslo said it might be somethign to do with the clutch like maybe it seized up or something...he said since there is oil in there ill definately need a new clutch...

anyway u know how it is very hard to put the stick into 1st when u r moving, i sometimes push very hard to put in first while coming to a stop sign so i can just roll thru it know what i mean? could it be f0cked up from that? is that what he meant by hard shifting?

anyone know what could be wrong? i dont trust mechanics but i trust mx3 owners...

thanks for reading,
steve
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
mykel78

Re: very upset...major tranny problem

Post by mykel78 »

When you were forcing the CV in, do you know what condition the seal (o-ring)ended up? When gear oil leaks out, 'seems' to me it would lock up a tranny if there's little or no lubrication. I would say take it out, I know you probably won't look forward to it, and take a look at the seal. If gears need to be realigned seems you would have had trouble earlier. I don't think a bell housing crack would leak the gear oil. When I had mine apart it looked like gear oil doesn't get there. unless its cracked from engine to gear housing, then maybe. Check your seal, go from there. Hope it helps!
If not broke - don't fix, modify. If broke - fix it right, and make it better.
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

how much is the mechanic gonna charge me (estimate)
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

car is fixed $166 US later...shifter and linkage needed lubrication and reinstallation...thanks for all the help..oh wait i hardly got any...this site sux most of the time
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by mxprecidia:
car is fixed $166 US later...shifter and linkage needed lubrication and reinstallation...thanks for all the help..oh wait i hardly got any...this site sux most of the time
Hey man-- thats a real bastard thing to say. This is THE Greatest MX-3 site ever.

How are we supposed to know what some mechanic is going to charge you to fix your busted tranny?
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

yea sorry i was just pissed ..im lost without my car..any way i picked up my car, drove it 5 blocks away..shifter got stuck in 1st again...i got it out, then it got stuck in second...then i had it in first again and i let my foot off the clutch and it wasnt going at all..i had it in first with my foot all the way off the clutch and it didnt stall, i hit the gas and still nothing...here come the best part...i banged the hsifter down a little bit and it fell to the ground...wtf...all gear fluid POORED out...had the car towed back to the mechanic... :confused:
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”