basic swapping q!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Redlined

basic swapping q!

Post by Redlined »

OK so I have been starting to save a bit for my swap which I will be doing next winter. I know most of the information on the swap including what materials I need. I just would like to save a bit of money and hopefully someone could tell me what swap is cheaper/easier to do and which swap would give the best results. The BPZE motor is probably the easiest for me to find around here or maybe the BPDE. I dont have a lot of money since I am paying off my car and snowmobile. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: basic swapping q!

Post by Josh »

i would definatly go for the BPZE. more displacement more power
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

BP - ZE has no more displacement then a BP-DE. BP means 1.8 litre engine, which is always DOHC. The "D" also means DOHC (rendundancy :roll: ) , so therefore, the code is BP-DE, or 1.8L DOHC Elctronic Fuel Injection (E). This means that a B8-DE would be the same engine as BP-DE... However, it would be called a BP-DE, not a B8-DE....

The Z is a proformance version, having agreesive cams, higher compression, and larger intake/exhaust ports. Not more displacement. Futhermore, the "Z" also means DOHC, this is why on the B6-ZE, Kl-ZE, and BP-ZE, the "D" is not needed to signify DOHC (however, once again, "BP" is always DOHC...).

So all in all, the BP-ZE will give you a bit more power from the "proformance add ons" mazda gave it, and probibly is a better engine to build off of then the BP-DE.

Oh yes, and before some tries to call my statments false, here are my resources used: 4cyl FAQ

<small>[ April 17, 2004, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

So how much power am I looking at swapping in the BPZE as in hp and tq to the wheels without any major upgrades. also how much am i looking to pay?
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

How much you pay will be affected a lot by the region your in. Just call a bunch of junk yards. Check out the FAQ for the cars to call on.

I would go with the ZE, try to get one from 93 or before. This keeps the wiring easy.

btw it makes approx 125hp/114lbs to tq. From my experiences this motor responsds really well to modifications as well. Just do your reserach on what you do and it should have a good impact
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

125??? thast it?? my mom could race me in her elantra! sorry but thats not really worth any sort of money what soever! I thought the swap was worth at least 150. what kinda price am I looking at for a turbo for that motor. or what about that new turbo on ebay that says its for the mx-3 would that bolt up to my existing motor now? 4cyl dohc?
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Just remember its a world of diffrence between the motors. Its not always about how much power you make but how you use it.

What type of budget were you working with?

*edited because i am cranky and trying not to be a *******

another edit for engine specs:

1.8 liter DOHC engine
Type: BP-ZE
Displacement: 1839cc
Cylinders: 4
Valvetrain: DOHC 16 valve
Horsepower: 125 @ 6500rpm
Torque: 114 lbs/ft @ 4500rpm
Bore & Stroke: 83 x 85mm
Compression Ratio: 9.0:1
Induction Type: Natural
Redline: 7000rpm
Alternator output: 12V, 65A
Ignition type: single electronic coil, distributor
Fuel system: Multipoint EFI
Manual Transmission type: G5M-R, G25M-R

http://web2.iadfw.net/theman/protegefaq/engine.html

gooood stuff

<small>[ April 17, 2004, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: torpedan ]</small>
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

well I dont exactly have a limit but I do not really want to spend too much. Is 2000 a reasonable amount? Im wanting arouund 200 whp
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

BP + turbo = god
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

heh, if you know some one that will get and put a 200 horse power engine in my car for $2000 bucks let me know!!!!! Cost us up here in Canada like $4500+ ($3300 U.S.D.) to get an engine and have it installed!!! anybody want to donate to my "I need a BPT" fund?
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

For that budget range you really need to do the work yourself to get the results you want.

Even then getting the power you want might not be that easy.. Unless you just juice it.

Also have you ever driver a 200whp 2400lb FWD car before?
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

No I havent drove a 200 hp fwd car but I WILL NEXT SUMMER! cus ill own one
ill be doing most of the work myself since I am attending a automotive service technician course now and have many friends whose parents are experts at this stuff!
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

The cheapest route to get to 200whp would be to just turbo your current motor (given you have a DOHC) but you can do the reserach on what and how to do it from here...
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Hmmm, maybe I'm ill informed (probibly), but I thought the SOHC had the easier turbo conversion?
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

THERES A TURBO FOR MY CAR???????????????? WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE WHERE GIMME GIMME GIMME!
I have the DOHC

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”