rev limiter

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Kazik16

rev limiter

Post by Kazik16 »

alrighty, i was on I-10 a couple weeks ago, and there was nobody on there, so i decided to see about toppin out my car, it stopped going at about 3500-4000 rpms @100mph, my dad said it was the rev limiter on the computer, i was wondering how hard it is to get it re-programmed, or removed, i just don't wanna have a limited car (even tho it does stop you from blowing it up :p )
http://www.cardomain.com/id/kazik16
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."
-Vernon Sanders Law
hondah8er13

Re: rev limiter

Post by hondah8er13 »

do what i did one time: hook up a toggle switch to turn your gauges on and off... when your about to hit the limiter flip the switch and kill the gauges it will kill the limiter too...
Zoom-Zoom
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Are you running a automatic or a stick? Its amusing though that these posts usually run into people arguing over weather or not the car has a govoner.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

does it?? lol... never got the chance (yet) to top it out...
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by hondah8er13:
do what i did one time: hook up a toggle switch to turn your gauges on and off... when your about to hit the limiter flip the switch and kill the gauges it will kill the limiter too...
What the hell does that have to do with anything?? If the gauges are off, you think that turns the Rev-limiter off?? HAH!

The rev-limiter is in the ECU. Turning the gauges off does nothing except turn your gauges off. :roll:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by Kazik16:
alrighty, i was on I-10 a couple weeks ago, and there was nobody on there, so i decided to see about toppin out my car, it stopped going at about 3500-4000 rpms @100mph, my dad said it was the rev limiter on the computer, i was wondering how hard it is to get it re-programmed, or removed, i just don't wanna have a limited car (even tho it does stop you from blowing it up :p )
You wanna know why you stopped accelerating around 100?? Because you have the SOHC, and it does not enough power to propel itself through the air that fast. Dont feel bad, I have the same problem with my SOHC.

The rev limiter is around 6500, and you were way below that.

You dont need to be going that fast anyway. :shrug:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Kazik16

Post by Kazik16 »

no, its not because i have a sohc, its because theres a rev limiter, im running an auto, there was plenty more power left in the engine, i don't think its gonna cut off at 3500 rpms, thats just un-realistic
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."
-Vernon Sanders Law
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Originally posted by Kazik16:
no, its not because i have a sohc, its because theres a rev limiter, im running an auto, there was plenty more power left in the engine, i don't think its gonna cut off at 3500 rpms, thats just un-realistic
no thats realistic. thats why an auto sucks. its the gear ratio. thats why you swap to MTX. the fastest i got my DOHC to was 110 took a while to get there too. then i swaped to the manual and it went to 120. my ATX seemed fast as hell from about 30 mph to about 85-90 then it got real slow. even with alittle over sized tires i couldent get any higher, cause the car didnt have the power to push it. if your at 100mph and your Tac is at 3500, its probably not the tac.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Yea that is why i asked if its a auto. The gear ratios likly wont let you get it up past that point.

I have yet to top out my Mx but I have taken it into the lower 140's Which personally is just a insane speed for public roads, i wouldnt suggest trying it.

If you want to get it faster you have 3 optoins. Less weight, less drag, or more power.. take your pick.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Kazik16

Post by Kazik16 »

odds are im jes gonna have my tranny rebuilt (hoping so this weekend), then later im gonna prolly do a bpt/auto>manual swap /w turbo, cold air intake and some more goodies, that'll help me out some :p
-Vernon Sanders Law
hondah8er13

Post by hondah8er13 »

atlanta, Have you ever done this? my guess is no because it does work... it is not just something i have heard.. i have done this... but i do need to make a correction it does not bypass the REV limiter it does bypass the SPEED limiter though... atlanta don't take this as being rude because lord knows that alot of your posts on here have helped me out so much, but i do have to disagree on this matter..
Zoom-Zoom
sweetmx3

Post by sweetmx3 »

well Itopped my car out at 185kmph because it was starting to shake but I think it could have gone faster because some ***hole cut me off on a on ramp to the highway some cool guy in a 92style z24 so knowing this I had to catch his a** and he starting laughing at me that was until we got off at he same ramp and stopped at a red light and busy intersection and he had know were to go and then I got out and started banging on the window to come out and laugh know B**** he wasn't laughing then and neither was his girl. :froggie_red:
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

[quote]Originally posted by theresa:
well Itopped my car out at 185kmph because it was starting to shake but I think it could have gone faster because some ***hole cut me off on a on ramp to the highway some cool guy in a 92style z24 so knowing this I had to catch his a** and he starting laughing at me that was until we got off at he same ramp and stopped at a red light and busy intersection and he had know were to go and then I got out and started banging on the window to come out and laugh know B**** he wasn't laughing then and neither was his girl. ;)
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
hondah8er13

Post by hondah8er13 »

Wellyou don't... lol i have not really figured that out yet it is just way obvious that there is nothing holding you back anymore... does that make any sense?
Zoom-Zoom
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Originally posted by torpedan
If you want to get it faster you have 3 optoins. Less weight, less drag, or more power.. take your pick.
Just to let you, more hp wont get you a higher top speed. Top speed is set through a formula. Although I can't remember the exact formula, it include these factors: redline, gear ratio, and tire size.

<small>[ March 31, 2004, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”