Problem with engine codes

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Redlined

Problem with engine codes

Post by Redlined »

OK Ive been part of this site for a while and spend alot of my time on this reading posts and searching for the information I need. But I have a humunganormous problem! I have no clue what the hell all these engine codes mean bp bpt klze all that stuff. I have a 94 DOHC and I want to do a motor swap but I am new to cars because I am only 17. I have the money to do a swap but I dont know what motor is the best. I want some nice power anywhere around 200 is fine but I dont know what motor is better the bpt klze? whats more available? cheaper? easier to swap? I gather bits and pieces from posts on what I need but I want to know what I need to get for a swap and where to get it. What cars it comes from and can I use my tranny and clutch? I have searched but I dont get the motor names and it screws me up completely and have no clue what half the parts on a car are haha. Anyway sorry for wastin the 2 mins of your life to read this but if anyone can help me please do so! thanx
mike :dunno:
MX3-Freak

Re: Problem with engine codes

Post by MX3-Freak »

Ok goes something like this

Stock engines:
B6E - 1.6l 4 cyl SOHC
B6ZE - 1.6l 4cyl DOHC**
K8D - 1.8l 6 cyl DOHC

Possible Swaps
BPE - 1.8l 4 cyl SOHC (90-94 protege)
BPD - 1.8l 4 cyl DOHC (90-98 protege)
BPT - 1.8l Turbo 4cyl DOHC (?-? 323 GTX)
KLDE - 2.5l 6 cyl DOHC (93-97 Probe/Mx6,
95-98 Milinia, 93-98 626)
KLZE - 2.5l 6 cyl DOHC (?-?)*

* The difference between the KLDE and KLZE are as follows; the KLZE has higher compression, more agressive cams, larger intake/exhaust ports, etc. The Z in its name signifies this, just like the D signifies DOHC in the K8D, BPD, and KLDE.**

** The Z also includes DOHC, which means the D is not need in engine code, thus B6ZE and KLZE.

So there are the basic engine codes, now what engine should you use to swap? With a 4cyl, you most likely can rule out the K series engine, to much costum work putting a 6 in your engine bay. But any of the B series will work. The most power, BPT, for it has turbo. However, the BPD also can give 200+ with foredged pistons, new rods, cams, heads, etc. I havent seen anyone use the BPE, despite the added displacement, most likely because it is a SOHC.

So basically, you have a choice between the BPD and BTP, depending on whether you want N/A or Force Induced.

Hope this helps

BTW: I'm this is a from a 16 year old who has no intenion of swapping. If I want to go fast, Ill get a bike :roll: .

<small>[ March 26, 2004, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

Thank you very much. Great Answer! :2thumbsup: So when I do the swap am I better off buying the entire car or just certain parts. I have no clue what parts I need besides motor :dunno: Also is there different motors in the different models of the car like the protege for example?
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Here is the BPT swap info you need.

The rest, you will have to search for, I just went to the FAQ for this link.
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”