I need some advice on a purchase mx3

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Chrisimpulsers

I need some advice on a purchase mx3

Post by Chrisimpulsers »

Hi this is my first post , i found a 91 mazda mx3 in nice shape overall except for the fact that the transmission does not work , if i go through the gears it just sets there and does not move , its an automatic and its a sohc. The place wants 600 for the car and the body is good on it and the engine is ok , it smoked a little but a local salvage yard has a good engine for like 250 , now i called around and not one place has an automatic tranny , are these trannies prone to be bad or something? What kinda power does this car have , is it worth fixing , worth maybe a manual swap? I never owned a mazda , im mostly an isuzu guy , but this car is very sweet looking and i have always like the way they look , im in pa also if anyone has a tranny or anything. Thanks guys

Chris C
91 isuzu impulse rs turbo AWD
:froggie_red:
992mmx3

Re: I need some advice on a purchase mx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

Mazda automatic trannies suck.
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

I'm sure Mazda started producing the MX-3 in 92. Go to car-part.com and look for a manual tranny. The sohc i4 is supposed to have 88 horse. They're still fun to drive though.
No Sig
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Originally posted by 992mmx3:
Mazda automatic trannies suck.
tell me one car which auto tranny doesnt suck? some old cars '50-60's had bulletproof trannies, but these days theyre all aluminum, cheaply assembled. Id advise manual tranny swap...or....BPT TIME!!!! :2thumbsup:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

tell me one car which auto tranny doesnt suck?
I had a 1984 Honda Accord with 291,000 on the original automatic before I traded her in (my dad bought it new and gave it to me at 220,000). I TRIED like hell for 70,000 miles to kill that car and it just wouldnt die. Mazda automatics definately suck but any automatic, even a crappy Mazda one, can last a pretty long time by simply changing the fluid and filter on schedule and adding a tranny oil cooler (how many automatic owners even change the fluid ONCE in its lifetime? I would bet not many, but they'll complain quite loudly when it craps out at 80,000 miles). I have 137,000 on my Mx3 original tranny, and a lot of people dont even get that out of their original engine, so I cant complain.

In your case, if you like shifting for yourself, the work in swapping trannies to a 5-speed would be worth it. :2thumbsup:
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

Dude, for 600 bucks you can't beat it! plus I'm sure you could talk 'em down to about 400! then you can spend $799 on a B6-T, pick up a 5 speed tranny for about $500, and put it all in for about $600, Now you got a nice *** 5 Speed Turbo Charged DOHC MX-3!! all for $2500! you can't beat it man :2thumbsup:
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
Chrisimpulsers

Post by Chrisimpulsers »

Ok i found a 94 mazda protege AND it says dx on the side of the car , its an auto and has what looks to me the same sohc 16 valve engine and the tranny looks similar but i don't for sure, does anyone know if i could swap the tranny from it to an mx3 auto? If so i can get the whole protege for 200 bucks and get the mx3 for 600 and i would be pretty happy with that , let me know thanks

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”