Help - Dead MX-3

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joobers

Help - Dead MX-3

Post by Joobers »

Hopefully someone here can help me out.<p>My MX-3 has had the CEL on for about 2 months. When the light first came on I went to check the codes from the diagnostics box. No codes showed. Since then I have replaced distributer cap & rotor, spark plugs & wires, and changed my oil. All my fluids are normal and my battery and starter are fine. In fact, the car seemed to run great - no problems (other than the CEL on).<p>Last night I went to start my car and wouldn't start. The engine turns over fine but gives no sign of wanting to start. I checked for the codes again today but still none.<p>Any ideas?<p>[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: Joobers ]</p>
Ryencool

Re: Help - Dead MX-3

Post by Ryencool »

starter? my negative battery cable was loose, and this also happnened. Made some wierd clicking noises etc...tighten it down
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
Joobers

Post by Joobers »

My car still won't start. I have replaced the distributor, plugs, and wires. I checked my batter cables (they are good). <p>The engine does turn over but does not start. Any other ideas?
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Get some starting fluid from an auto parts store, and have someone spray it into the intake as you crank the engine. If it tries to start or only runs when someone is spraying the fluid, then you probably have a bad fuel pump. If it doesnt even sputter with the starting fluid, you either have no spark, or possibly a stripped timing belt.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
Joobers

Post by Joobers »

From what I have tested so far I know that I am getting fuel but no spark. Fuses are fine and my wires are in correct order. If it is the timing belt what is the best way to check it?<p>Thanks
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

Make sure the head of your engine is grounded to the chassis. A bad ground will give you no spark.

Checking the timing belt is also a good thing.

What engine do you have? 4cycl or 6? SOHC or DOHC?
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Joobers

Post by Joobers »

Wow - surprised someone responded to this thread. It has been over a year since I posted on this one. Anyway, my car is still dead. I took it to a mechanic here and he gave up on it. I was pretty disappointed in the fact that he caused more harm to my car than good. He spliced a bunch of the wiring. He did manage to get it running for about half an hour and then it died again.

So now I need to figure out how to fix it. However, I am probably going to leave it for the winter as I don't have the time before it snows and gets very cold. I don't have a garage to work on it in the winter.

The car is a 1992 RS 4cyl auto. My grounds look good - but I plan on re-doing them and fixing up the rest of the wiring. I am going re-check the timing. I have replaced almost everything on it. I was able to get a wiring diagram (thanks Grants!). This has now turned into the project car I never wanted.

I am thankful for such a great community of MX-3 owners that are so willing to help. Without this I would have given up a long time ago.

<small>[ September 27, 2004, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Joobers ]</small>
What

Post by What »

cam and/or crank angle sensor (inside dsitributor or wherever they be on these cars)...

coil

bad ground or grounds...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”