clutch questions

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
stupidtickets

clutch questions

Post by stupidtickets »

im replacing my clutch and have a few questions. will i need to replace all these in the link below? if not what all will i need to replace? are these good productsand decent prices? everything is stock and i want to do a bpt swap but it wont be till atleast this time next year. which i really dont mind buying new more heayduty parts then. so really all i want for now is whats gonna get me by. thanks in advance.<p> wes<p>http://www.mazda-automotive.com/engine_parts/mx3_001-1995-clutch-parts.html<p>im not sure if this link is gonna work but it did in the test forum. sorry for the long post also.
TEAMpK

Re: clutch questions

Post by TEAMpK »

Man...you might look into just getting like an ACT stage 2 clutch kit. They are like $350...or somewhere close to that. I had my clutch replaced last year with another stock clutch and it ran me upwards of $800...so...if your not gonna eat your clutch up...look into a good clutch now. Like this
Heavy Duty Pressure Plate w/ 6 Pad Race Disc Kit
- (quick engagement; for race cars) 48% 257 ft-lb ZP1-HDR6 $345.00
http://www.clutchcityonline.com/ACT/mazda/mx-3.htm
Tim - http://www.TEAMpK.net (formerly known as pkmx-3)
94 MX-3 RS JDM B6T
stupidtickets

Post by stupidtickets »

is that what you recommend for the daily driver more concerned with keeping the car running rather than winning a race? for now that is.
stupidtickets

Post by stupidtickets »

i've been trying to do my research on this little project. from what i understand i should also get my flywheel shaved? if so what exactly is a machine shop. i mean i have an idea of what one is. but i cant recall seeing an actual shop called "machine shop" if i can get an answer especially from someone in the okc (oklahoma city) metro area (of where one might be)i'd appreciate that help as well. ok that might be it but probably not. thanks in advance.<p> wes
TEAMpK

Post by TEAMpK »

no...well..i guess i didnt think about that...lol whoops...yea..if your gonna be an every day driver....might not wanna go as extreme as I had previously recommended, I have heard that shaving ur flywheel can be dangerous...but no experience on that...sorry for not reading the post more closely... :)
Tim - http://www.TEAMpK.net (formerly known as pkmx-3)
94 MX-3 RS JDM B6T
stupidtickets

Post by stupidtickets »

still need some help guys and gals!!!
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

You should replace the pilot bearing, throw out bearing, clutch disc, and pressure plate. The flywheel needs to be RESURFACED, so the clutch disc will break in properly. Shaving is a term more used when you're removing weight from the flywheel, and that's not your goal. <p>Someone in your area is capable of resurfacing your fly. An automotive machine shop should be able to do it for around $40. <p>As for the clutch, you can't beat the factory Exeddy clutch's.
stupidtickets

Post by stupidtickets »

thats exactly what i need to know. thanks alot.<p> wes
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

i don't think you would want to use a factory clutch in a turbo motor. get the stage 1 ACT clutch kit. it still has smooth engagement and will hold like 250hp or something like that. (all these parts should be for a 90-94 protege by the way)
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
stupidtickets

Post by stupidtickets »

thanks for your input ryan. i think that will come handy when i get a bpt. but till then i dont want to worry about my clutch holding 250 hp. also i hope you can laugh at sarcasm. im just messin with ya. really i thank you for your input amyway.
wes
stupidtickets

Post by stupidtickets »

bump
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

get an act stage 1 cltuch , its great for every day driving. there is a guy on ebay selling one for $320 shipped. I bought from him my clutch. Plus if you win the auction, he can sell you an aluim fhly wheel for 285 shipped! I bought it too...if you going to swap to a bt might as well the a 9.5 Ibs Fly wheel.
stupidtickets

Post by stupidtickets »

now i have a man telling me i have to remove the whole engine to do this. i mean pull it out the bay. is that right? i'm pretty sure he has never done this with a mx-3 before. but i couldve missed this while i did my sesarching. thank for any help.<p> wes
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

oops i thought you were looking for a clutch for a bpt. my bad. i'd just get the cheapest one i could find since you don't plan on modding your b6.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

you dont have to pull out the whole engine...just left the right side of the engine. I would get a good clutch and flywheel...if you plan to upgrade. I order it...planning to upgrade to a ze next year..so the clutch and flywheel are ready to go for the ze.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”