Fastest(Getting in), cheapest, most power, pretty much t

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
DaveRous

Fastest(Getting in), cheapest, most power, pretty much t

Post by DaveRous »

Okay, there are about a million topics on swaps floating around, but I gotta know:<p>What is the cheapest, quickest to do, and produces the most power. I have a 93 SOHC and hate the power issue. I was going to sell it and get a Dodge Stealth, but it seems I won't be able to do that now. So what swap can I get into without spending an *** load of time and money, and still make a nice power boost. I don't want to swap out everything in the world so another 4 banger is probably the best bet, also I don't really want to drop the tranny, but I know it's only good for like 220 HP and like 250 lb/ft before it kills itself. Any info would be awsome, thanks guys.
My first import ran on rice, this one runs on style.
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Re: Fastest(Getting in), cheapest, most power, pretty much t

Post by mx3TT »

Swap in a BPT. I did and I couldn't live without it(even though its not running right now). I am not the best person to talk about time and money with this swap because I got screwed by my mechanics. But I am sure if I have a good mechanic and the money up front, they would have done it in a week or two. I ended up spending a lot of money becuase I didnt just get what I needed I got better stuff along the way. If you need info go to cardomain.com and look through the mx-3's. Mine is under TUBRO MX-3.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

hey daverous, i was in the same boat as you, i have a 93 1.6l sohc 4cyl mx3 but mine was extra slow, because it was an auto tranny. I was contemplating all the swaps, b6t and bpt, but the way things turned out, i got imo good deals on a 5spd tranny (which was swapped in place of the auto) and a custom built turbo "kit" originally made for the dohc 4cyl from boostedmx. (who is by the way selling his drag mx, which if you bought and dropped into your car would be insanly fast). So, instead of swappingan engine, i have the stock sohc motor turbocharged. As with any swap or custom route, itll be costly, but being a poor college student who works part time, im glad i dished out the cash to go turbo, because i badly wanted more power, and as any of the turbo / swap guys will tell you, the mx is a much more fun car to drive once a swap or turbo is done and you get to drive the car again.
sorry if this post is too long, and maybe it was of some help
talk to you later
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
maldo

Post by maldo »

B6T is cheapest and easily produces 200whp if money is spent wisely. The B6T can easily produce 250whp with the right turbo and tuning. The BP or BPT swap is a little more involved as the tranny needs to be changed (you need it out anyways regardless which swap you do), controlling engine parameters properly also requires a good standalone. The BP when turboed easily does 250whp properly tuned and can go quite high. There are many 350-400whp bp engines running around.<p>How much money do you have to spend? :shrug:
DaveRous

Post by DaveRous »

Bah, looks like the Stealth guy might come through after all. If he doesn't I am still here :D With only about 500 pounds extra to boot. BOOOOOSSSSTTTTT!
tonguefreek

Post by tonguefreek »

word of advice the stealth is well known for there weak trannys and cost is about 2k to replace thats why i sold mine if you do decide to get it make sure you take it to a good tranny shop to have it looked at do your self a favor and go to http://www.3si.org/ and do some research alot of probs with leaky seals and stuff not to knock the 3000gt/stealth r/t i loved mine but just to ****en much money to upkeep compaired to my mx
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

for a cheap swap to power ratio i would go with a BP its a good jump in the power band and the motor is readily available. I got a front end clip of a protege LX for only 750$.. and it had everything i needed..
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

N2o...
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
UnkleDuke

Post by UnkleDuke »

With the BP swap, how possible is it to incorporate a manifold from a bpt or b6t later on?
I'm slowly rebuilding an IHI VJ11 at the moment, and I'd like to install it eventually. So if I could re-use the exh.manifold it would be good (or, come to think of it, I should just ask how much the shop wants for the whole B6T).<p>Nevermind.
Unless the BP swap is less costly with similar power. Then it becomes worth my while.
No Sig
DaveRous

Post by DaveRous »

Maybe I will just get a Prelude ;) I have checked 3si.org, decided not to get a Stealth anyway. I just don't know anymore, I want a great handling car, with really nice power for not a huge amount of money, and without an insurance bump. Blah, I always want too much. Any ideas?
Mo s Ricer

Post by Mo s Ricer »

i had a sohc moter in my car. i found the dohc stock moter outta a 94 for cheap so i bought it it only took 36 hours of laber for me and a friend to put it in. i didnt even take out my stock tranny just left it right were it was. its not the best swap to do but for the first swap ive ever done i think it was to damn easy
mosricer is powerd by mx-3's,gen2 mr2's and of course SUBARU'S.
Live Life One Ride At A Time.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>With the BP swap, how possible is it to incorporate a manifold from a bpt or b6t later on?
I'm slowly rebuilding an IHI VJ11 at the moment, and I'd like to install it eventually. So if I could re-use the exh.manifold it would be good (or, come to think of it, I should just ask how much the shop wants for the whole B6T).
Nevermind.
Unless the BP swap is less costly with similar power. Then it becomes worth my while.
<hr></blockquote><p>Yeah you can take on a bpt manifold later and the BP is a excelent platform for turboing..<p>sohc is 88hp BP is 125ish (mine dynoed a bit higher bone stock) whihc is approximatly a 40hp gain which is what i would expect on a soch for 5-6ish pnds of boost =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
94mx3rsr

Post by 94mx3rsr »

MALDO :<p>The BP or BPT swap is a little more involved as the tranny needs to be changed (you need it out anyways regardless which swap you do),<p>
-------<p>I hate being quoted so sorry for that maldo but I have done the bpt swap and i am using the b6 tranny from the b6ze dohc engine .....all is going well...very clean swap, all you ahve to do is bring the driveshaft tranny mount to a machining shop to get it machined 1 cm closer to the tranny if i remember correctly....the tranny is holding well but then again i am careful with it!

I am using the bp55 european spec ECU .....and everything is A1 just like if it came stock.....i have also used a protege bracket to mount my brake booster vacuum lines which mounts like it was meant to be....<p>bpt swap will cost you around 4000$ ....
Jean-Michel Basque
STOCK BPT @ 8.5PSI
3 RUNS ON THE 1/4 = 14.85 @ 96
94mx3rsr

Post by 94mx3rsr »

Jean-Michel Basque
STOCK BPT @ 8.5PSI
3 RUNS ON THE 1/4 = 14.85 @ 96

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”