New Here and have a question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
MX3FanDan

New Here and have a question

Post by MX3FanDan »

Hey guys - I have two cars - a 2001 Saturn 3 door coupe that is decently modded and a stock 1995 mx-3 with 70,000 miles that my brother is leaving at my house when he goes away to college - I will be using the mx-3 to keep the mileage down on the saturn for commuting to grad school and work - I am not looking to spend much money - just want to make a homeade shortram intake for the car and make the car look a bit nicer - i realize that this car has got lots of potential - Can someone direct me to a post or some kind of directions on how to fabricate a decent, cheap shortram intake with a cone filter for me - I am very good with cars and buiolding things is never really a problem.??? ^Thanks a lot dudes - Dan "The Schoolteacher"
(My Car) 2001 Saturn Sc1 (5 speed) coupe - Modded for looks and as much speed as I can squeeze out of it.<p>(Lil Bro's Car) 1995 Mazda MX-3 4cyl Sohc (5 speed), Navy blue, homeade intake...more to come
EBUCKS

Re: New Here and have a question

Post by EBUCKS »

Hey Dan, welcome to the board. I can't really help you in the way of knowing what to do myself. But there is a search function at the top of your screen. This has been done before, so you'll be in luck if you try searching.<p> :) <p>one
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

the cheapest way is just to put a cone on the MAF.<p>Image<p>thats the cheapest intake mod u can do. ~ 15 bucks
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

check my home page (which is actually my friend's web page)....on the left is a mazda link...check out how i did my intake, it's better than just hooking up the filter to the MAF, cause then ur sucking hot air from the radiator and it really sucks, i know, i've been there. well, maybe not cold, but DEFINATELY cooler than from behind the damn radiator...with my method that invovles a little bit of additional piping, you will have cold air, and the difference is definately worth it...the whole project cost me less than $60...good luck<p>[ May 27, 2003: Message edited by: DJGypsy ]</p>
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
MX3FanDan

Post by MX3FanDan »

Hey guys - thanks for the welcome to the board messages and whatnot. Okay so I looked around online and around here for some ideas and took my bro to the autoparts store the other day. He bought a carbon fiber Ractive Heatshield filter and I just attached it to the MAF for now. Saturday we are gonna run some cold air into the car by doing the dryer ducting trick so that should be cool. Unlike my Satty, the mx-3 has tons of room inside the engine bay to run cold air tubing and fiddle around with different engine mod ideas which I love because it gives me room to work. I will tell you guys though - Mazda sure does use a whole lot of unnecessary air filtration crap - I must have pulled like two baffles, the filter box, and some useless baffle tubing out from the engine compartment. Well needless to say the car breathes a lot better, there has been a nice little power increase, and it was a good starting point to begin improving upon. Next we're gonna do a throttle body, cold air, and a header if I can find one. This is gonna be a fun project especially considering my saturn will be done after I get my HKS exhaust and have the bumperrepainted later this month. See you guys around the board - Dan - oh and I made a sweet bracket out of a metal bracket from an old kitchen cabinet that holds the filter perfectly stable with just a little dremmel work....god I love how easy this car is to work on.<p>[ May 28, 2003: Message edited by: MX3FanDan ]</p>
(My Car) 2001 Saturn Sc1 (5 speed) coupe - Modded for looks and as much speed as I can squeeze out of it.<p>(Lil Bro's Car) 1995 Mazda MX-3 4cyl Sohc (5 speed), Navy blue, homeade intake...more to come
Mo s Ricer

Post by Mo s Ricer »

hey man sounds like things are going good with the mx and im happy to see more mx ers in ny<p>i also would like to make a custum intake and i was just wonder what u used to atach the cone filer to the maf? is it an adapter thing like they have on e-bay or is it soemthing u bought local
mosricer is powerd by mx-3's,gen2 mr2's and of course SUBARU'S.
Live Life One Ride At A Time.
Len-Dogg

Post by Len-Dogg »

It's neither for him. He has a 95 like I do, and the MAF is a 3" round circle that fits right into most cone filters. For the older MX-3's, the connection was square instead of round, and that is why you needed the adapter.
1995 Blaze Red RS 5sp. Manual, Pacesetter Exhaust, Custom CAI, 17" ADR Rims, Kumho Tires, Altezzas, GS Style Spoiler and Mud Guards, Neoprene Seat Covers, Aluminum Foot Pedals, Leather Shift Knob, Remote Starter, Blaupunkt Stereo and 5-disc changer, Pioneer Speakers, Amp, and Sub<p>http://www.cardomain.com/id/lendogg<p>http://www.msu.edu/~leonar40/Car.html<p>Image
Mo s Ricer

Post by Mo s Ricer »

o that sux i hate my 92
thanx for the info
mosricer is powerd by mx-3's,gen2 mr2's and of course SUBARU'S.
Live Life One Ride At A Time.
tiburon

Post by tiburon »

Mo-- go on ebay and buy a Rx-7 filter and adapter. Mine cost $13 for both as opposed to the 20 corksport (or anyone else for that matter) wants for the adapter alone. Here is a pick of what I got hooked on to my MAF Image<p>[ May 30, 2003: Message edited by: RiceRocket666 ]</p>

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”