quick flywheel question

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
marshmallow15

quick flywheel question

Post by marshmallow15 »

if i were to purchase a b6-ze dohc motor for a boost project, i understand that the protege flywheel is recommended. will the b6 chromoly flywheel on toda work well with a boosted dohc setup while running a pro lx tranny and axles?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
jaydog5678

Re: quick flywheel question

Post by jaydog5678 »

I would run an Indigo aluminum flywheel from www.srmotorsports.comfor the B6-Ze. How much can you get the Toda for? If you're thinking of a Protege gearbox, use the one from a 95+, not the 90-94 gearbox. The 95 has taller gearing than the factory 94 Mx gearbox, and is a direct bolt in to this engine. The 90-94 Protege gearbox requires modification to the jack-shaft(or block), and you will need a the Protege #3 transaxle mount if you use the B6-Ze engine.<p>Also, the jack-shaft for the B6 dohc is several mm's larger than the 90-94 Protege jack-shafts. Use the 94 dohc Mx-3 axles, and it should be fine for your turbo project.<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: jaydog5678 ]</p>
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

Fadanza makes a 9 pound flywheel for the 323 GTX(US Spec)that i think will bolt up. try www.nipponpower.com
in regards to the Indigo they have the fly wheel as #64-149 for the 90-94 protege and or the 323 GTX. but for the Miata its the #64-129. i thought it would be the other way around (323+miata= same #)? maybe they are referring to the 1800cc GTX(which i thought was strictly j-spec?)?
just FYI...<p>[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: Shady469 ]</p>
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
maldo

Post by maldo »

Be aware that all Miatae and Proteges came with a larger flywheel and clutch than the MX-3. SOHC models had the 190mm clutch, while the DOHC had the 200mm. You may be able to use the M1 1.6l flywheel as the clutch was still the 200mm size. Any of the larger flywheels were designed for the 215mm or 225mm clutch on the Protege and M1 and M2 1.8L. If you go with a larger clutch, buy the clutch designed for that flywheel. You also need to be aware of the input shaft diameter as all Proteges and Miata run a 22x15/16 versus the MX-3's 20x7/8.<p>BTW, the GTX that they would be refering to is the NA version, not J-spec. Reason for the different PN is that the GTX ran a 225mm clutch and the '90-93 miata ran a 200mm clutch.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jaydog5678:
I would run an Indigo aluminum flywheel from www.srmotorsports.comfor the B6-Ze. How much can you get the Toda for? If you're thinking of a Protege gearbox, use the one from a 95+, not the 90-94 gearbox. The 95 has taller gearing than the factory 94 Mx gearbox, and is a direct bolt in to this engine. The 90-94 Protege gearbox requires modification to the jack-shaft(or block), and you will need a the Protege #3 transaxle mount if you use the B6-Ze engine.<p>Also, the jack-shaft for the B6 dohc is several mm's larger than the 90-94 Protege jack-shafts. Use the 94 dohc Mx-3 axles, and it should be fine for your turbo project.
[ December 19, 2002: Message edited by: jaydog5678 ]
<hr></blockquote><p>dammit. the dohc that someone was holding for me for $200 was sold. i guess its back to boosting the sohc. would this apply to the b6e as well?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
992mmx3

Post by 992mmx3 »

I both heard and read somewhere it was better to gain weight on the flywheel if you're going to be boosted, whereas the N/A route, you'd want to lose weight, this doesn't make sense to me as seeing the lightened flywheel in turbo cars can sometimes help limit turbo lag. Anyone know more of this matter? :shrug:
-Mark Lathrop
1992 MX-3 RS-T
B6T with some goodies

"...I told those fudgepackers I liked Michael Bolton's music..."
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 992mmx3:
I both heard and read somewhere it was better to gain weight on the flywheel if you're going to be boosted, whereas the N/A route, you'd want to lose weight, this doesn't make sense to me as seeing the lightened flywheel in turbo cars can sometimes help limit turbo lag. Anyone know more of this matter? :shrug: <hr></blockquote><p>No, you can have a lighter fly on turbocharged cars. It should increase throttle response and reduce the lag a little bit. Going heavier would just do the opposite.<p>I have not payed too much attention to tell the diff btwn the 92-93 and 94+ blocks and gearboxes. Chris?
maldo

Post by maldo »

What difference? ;) Overall, design in regards to this thread is the same for both sets of years (jack shafts/axles aside). The only thing of real significance when choosing your flywheel is the fact that you need a "matching" clutch size. You need to ensure that the input shaft is the correct size for clutch/flywheel combo. The M1 guys switch to the M2 combo all the time due to the extra holding capacity. When they do this, the clutch and flywheel both need to be off the larger design (input shaft remains the same between both generations).<p>BTW, only downfall of a lightened flywheel with boost is you get out of the boost a lot quicker. Revs drop faster but also climb faster...win/lose situation. I love the lightened flywheel, the computer doesn't. I tend to stall the car every so often, especially when cold as the revs drop too quickly. This has been sorted out with some decent tuning and bumping the idle slightly.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”