weight reduction stage 2

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
marshmallow15

weight reduction stage 2

Post by marshmallow15 »

hey guys. i took off a lot of things from my car for a nice weight reduction such as:<BR>- spare tire including tools/accesories<BR>- rear seats on weekdays only<BR>- airbox and all tubes and hoses<BR>- heavy stock wheels<BR>- header heat shield<P>im going to be performing more such as:<BR>- fiberglass hood<BR>- fiberglass front bumper<BR>- fiberglass door panels<BR>- heavy front seats<P>are there any other things that i can remove besides a/c that will still make my car driveable?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
maldo

Re: weight reduction stage 2

Post by maldo »

Remove the carpet, remove the tar under the carpet. Remove the trunk panels. Remove rear belts, wiper, etc.<P>How much you willing to spend?? Send your hatch, hood, and doors to Fibre Images and have them make nice light weight versions. (only in my dreams).<P>Buy some light weight rims.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

cant do the belts...it sucks to have a car that's a weekend warrior and school daily driver.<P>and yea im havin the hood, front bumper, and door panels already fiberglassed.
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

This all depends on how extreme you want to go.<P>There is not to much to lose under the hood although there are a few plastic peacies you can take out. IE the venting for the battary and all of the stock airbox. Here is a pic of under my hood if you are curious.<BR> <A HREF="http://nbi.virtualave.net/mx3/newi.jpg" TARGET=_blank>http://nbi.virtualave.net/mx3/newi.jpg</A> <P>I have yet to pull the heatshield i like the shiny....<P>A easy place to lose weight is the steeringwheel look around find something light. <P>You can yank the sound system. I just have a radio and two front speakers.<P>Remove the air conditing if you have it. I live in texas rolling down the window works here.. unless you live in hell you can usually go without it.<P>If you are yanking the rear seat dont forget the seatbelts and the mounting hardware for them. They weigh in close to that of the seat itself.<P>Get lieghter seats. stocks seats are not overly heavy but its not to hard to find somethinglightweight.<P>If your really int gutting it dont forget to pull the sound insulation behind the dash.<P>I have removed a TON of stuff from my car i have a older picture but a lot more has comeout since i took this one.<BR> <A HREF="http://nbi.virtualave.net/mx3/KIF_3484.JPG" TARGET=_blank>http://nbi.virtualave.net/mx3/KIF_3484.JPG</A> <P>The tar and do pannels are gone now i need <BR>to get some new pics<P>Btw the tar is a real pain to get out. Takes hours and hours and hours.. And be careful not to scratch the paint as you go.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

all i can say is wow thats bare. Have you weighed all the stuff you pulled out?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Hows this for bare :D <BR> Image
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

seats, lighter battery, oem exhaust system is heavy, oem exhaust manifold is heavy, lexan the rear window.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

ohh so we can lexan the rear window then.<P>damn jesse did you crash your protege? that sucks.
- team slideways
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

well, i see that u drive an RS. If you have no engine swap or anything, I cannot see the point of taking all of that stuff out. Now if you had a faster engine that could actually get up and go, then i could understand. Thats just me though [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mx3man83:<BR><STRONG>well, i see that u drive an RS. If you have no engine swap or anything, I cannot see the point of taking all of that stuff out. Now if you had a faster engine that could actually get up and go, then i could understand. Thats just me though [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i see that YOU drive an rs too....if you have no engine swap or anything, i dont see the point why YOU have ram air intake and straight pipe exhaust. now if you had a faster engine that could actually get up and go, then id understand...catch my drift?
- team slideways
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

hehe yeah nice and bare i need to get some new pics up but all the parts do add up to a good some. I have pulled 95% of the tar out<P>I cosider lexan just havnt looked into the cost of doing it. The weight balance is so totally screwed right now though.<P>Yeah i also put on a aftermarket muffler and had the resonator replaced with a striaght pipe both of which served to pull more weight off. <P>Even though i am stripping the car Upping <BR>Any suggesttions on the battire are welcome i have looked at a few but fear they dont have the CCA to start when winter roles in.<P>the power of the motor is in mind, BUT i can not affoard a swap or trubo at the moment. So i do what i can instead of putting it off till after a swap. Btw my gasmilage has gone up, that and i REALLY like the look of a stripped interior..
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

hey torpedan ive noticed that after taking out all that stuff, that ive gotten an extra few 3 mpg. thats siik.<P>oh yea i took out the tar behind the door panels and there was some under the carpet. the tar wasnt really a pain, i just used a towel to grab it all off. i also cut off a lot of the door panel metal frame that i didnt need and after weighing those bits and pieces i cut off from the door frame and trunk frame, the total weighed 16lbs!
- team slideways
Ryencool

Post by Ryencool »

do you still have plastic covering the doors though?? if you dont have any electrics it wont be a problem, but when a wet window is in there, and you have power windows , locks, etc, it will go bad :) plenty og other idiots out there who can't add, let alone drive a 2 ton car<p>[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: Ryencool ]
92 red rs
performance exhaust
zx2 struts and Eibach springs
turboed + stand alone when the cash is there
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

no i have manual locks/windows, but when i get power locks, im going to cover it in those speaker baffle foam coverings that they sell on crutchfield.<P>and im not too worried about getting hit on the side...sure itll be rare that i get hit on the side, but i dont drive out late at nights where drunk drivers are at a max. in the rare occasion that i do get hit, im sure the frame i cut off couldnt do much protection because i ripped right through that stuff with my bare hands. plus im more likely to get hit in the front or rear. iono how the hell id get hit at the side. i follow all traffic laws. =D
- team slideways
powerman_5000

Post by powerman_5000 »

Hey you guys should see my friend Antwan's MX-3. He gutted it completey. He took out every panel, the carpet, ac compressor, rear windshield wiper and motor, and some other stuff. He replaced the heavy driver and passenger seats with lightwieght racing seats. I'll try to get some pictures of it and post them as soon as I can.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”