horse on my 92 1.6

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
whinypunk

horse on my 92 1.6

Post by whinypunk »

on this page it says the 1.6 has 105 horse, but other sites say 88\??
aznwithamx3

Re: horse on my 92 1.6

Post by aznwithamx3 »

the 1.6 DOHC has 105hp and the 1.6 SOHC has 88hp
whinypunk

Post by whinypunk »

i have been reading reviews and many people have said that the sohc mx-3's are very slow. Are any owners happy with the speed or pick-up or the car.
bakedyeti

Post by bakedyeti »

I have an 1.6 sohc 5 speed and it is kinda slow, although it is faster than my friends 92 civic lx (no mods) and my other friends 94 accord lx (no mods). You can get some decent speed out of it if you have a 5 speed, but automatics are just slowwwww. I'm happy with mine cause i know i can make it faster with a little time and $.
whinypunk

Post by whinypunk »

thats good to hear man. what are the first few cheap mods you are gonna do to make it faster.?
mx3freakit

Post by mx3freakit »

yah my MX-3 1.6L SOHC 5 speed has less horsepower but i'm getting cold air for it and I already have an exhaust system on it. It seems faster than before.
Nothin more beautiful than the MX-3
whinypunk

Post by whinypunk »

what cars have you guys been able to keep up with or beat in races?
aznwithamx3

Post by aznwithamx3 »

well i took off on a mustang gt but he wooped my azz.right now im just getting a cai,and headers but when i turn 18 im getting the bpt swap and 5spd tranny.my mods are not that much just custom downpipe,hi-flow cat.converter,and a muffler and then the platinum spark plugs from bosch or sumthing.
codene

Post by codene »

the stock air boxes on these beast are very restrictive...get an intake and exhaust and you can pick up some good hp
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mail_cory_here" TARGET=_blank>Codenes Car</A>
jeff

Post by jeff »

you can't really get that much out of the 1.6 sohc.. I would suggest saving up your money and either getting the B6T or the BPT both of those engines can make some very good power. personally I don't think that it's worth the money that you would put into the 1.6 sohc... to make power it's much easier to start with something that doesn't have 88hp..
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

Two other things that Restrict ALOT of the MX-3s HP is 1. The Mass Air Flow Sencer Restricts about 8-11HP and the best thing to do about that is get the MAFS From the 2nd Gen RX-7 (Non-Turbo) and # 2 on the list is the exhaust system, From what I heard the Original exhaust system is only 1 1/4 Inches So You pretty have Two Options 1. Get a Cat Back (Mazdaspeed has the better one) or you can get a custom fitted from midas or somthing and Hollow out your cat, and get some larger headers of course. Now the best way to hollow out your cat is to cut a diamond in it, Pull all the guts out, and then Sauder the diamond back into it. So just out of the larger better exhaust system, Performace Intake, 2nd Gen RX-7 MAFS You'll gain atleast 40-50HP.
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

40-50hp gains? Are you on crack? I mean seriously a full exhaust and intake wont make 40 let alone 50hp. Thats like adding a shot of "Nawz" to your car or a small turbo.
heatherc

Post by heatherc »

well, i have the 92 SOHC as well....and i love my car.. but if u r seriously "needing" speed then my advice is to buy yerself a GS....and mod that...personnally, i like the looks of my car and if i decide to do something i will either bolt on a turbo...or completely gut her out and do the swap ...i think it depends on how much more faster U really want to be--->IMO NO amount of small mods are going to get these girlz moving but they are ssharp as hell looking ;) <BR>Heather
-----------------------------------<BR>_/*\_ ¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤·.<BR>\ M׳/¸.·¤**¤ müÇh LØVê †Ø M¥ m×鮊<BR>/.·*·.\¸.·¤**¤·.,¸,.·¤**¤<BR>-----------------------------------
maldo

Post by maldo »

The only way you will get 40-50 hp is by swapping in the B6T or bolting a turbo on. 11hp from the MAF? man, I wish I had what you were smoking when you pulled that number out of the air.<P>Unless you are going turbo there really isn't too much need for the larger MAF.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

This also leads to the common misconceptions of performace i fell over laughing when a co worker was telling me about how awesome his 2.5in catback was on hise 1.6l motor.. Then he was complaining about no power till the motor got over 4grand..
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”