90k Maintenance Help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
TitanMX

90k Maintenance Help

Post by TitanMX »

I have a 93' 4cyl sohc, and it just hit 90k miles. What are the scheduled maintenance things that I would have to do to it now, as well as anything else I would need to do to it?
ProtegeSTS

Re: 90k Maintenance Help

Post by ProtegeSTS »

hmm, off the top of my head...not really 90K things, but rather just general maintence if you havent done them lately...<P>-oil change<BR>-fuel filter<BR>-valve cover gasket<BR>-new plugs<BR>-new plug wires<BR>-new cap and rotor for the disty<BR>-check vacum and fuel lines for deterioration<BR>-check radiator hoses<BR>-flush coolant, then add new coolant<BR>-bleed brakes<BR>-brake pads<BR>-go around under the car and tighten everything<BR>-headlight fluid<BR>-tranny gear oil change<P>That should do it<p>[ July 18, 2002: Message edited by: ProtegeSTS ]
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Dont forget the PCV vaulve=] <P>Most places charge you to replace them but they can be cleaned and reused fairly often =]
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS</B><P>-headlight fluid<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>man, i think i have a leak or something...cause i went and checked my headlight fluid and it was bone dry :roll:
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

"valve cover gasket"<P>A cheap way to do the job is to fill it with silicon. That's what I did and I haven't any problems. I'm not sure what the price for a new one but I can tell you that silicon is kinda cheap ;)
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FroSTeD:<BR><STRONG>"valve cover gasket"<P>A cheap way to do the job is to fill it with silicon. That's what I did and I haven't any problems. I'm not sure what the price for a new one but I can tell you that silicon is kinda cheap ;)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Seems like it might be a little on the permanent side if you ever need to get the valve cover back off....
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

True.<P>But I believe that with some heat it is possible to remove the silicon? I'm not sure but I think it can works. <P>It's probably going to be harder next time to remove it but for the price I think it worth it.<P>I'll tell you if I ever have to remove it :)
mazdaspeed002

Post by mazdaspeed002 »

If you use Permatex black RTV silicone it will peel back off easily.......It's basically liquid valve cover gasket. It's always worked for me when i need to reuse a gasket....
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Silocon is not a bad gasket actaully. A lot of oems have resorted to useing it inplace of some gaskets to save on production cost and leave the gaskets to a aftermarket company to make. Particarlly true with tranny gaskets
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
NJDOHC1.6

Post by NJDOHC1.6 »

The price of a new valve cover gasket is $25.00 from mazda. Also check out your O2 sensor and see if its burnt out. also if your going to replace your brake shoes its a good idea to replace all the springs also. And my headlight fluid is empty too..WTF! Also you might want to repack ALL your electrical connectors with die electric grease to prevent corrosion..Dont forget the timing belt, thermostat, and water pump and if you have A/C vacuum and recharge And make sure you check all your bushings in your suspension/ if you replace them it should stiffen your ride up a little

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”