excessive road noise

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
tinkertank

excessive road noise

Post by tinkertank »

I think it's a bad tire. I rotated my tires to see if the sound moved from the back to the front. It moved from the back to... everywhere. I'm assuming that it's because of the firewall that the sound is less localized. I'm wondering? Is it the tire? Is it the bearings? Or is it my brakes? It sounds like I'm driving on three touring tires and one winter tire (I checked, they're all "All Season Radials".<P>1992 MX-3 4 cyl. 5-speed<P>Thanks,<BR>Martin
MX-3 - 4 cyl. ('92)
killerpickle

Re: excessive road noise

Post by killerpickle »

does it sound like an airplane ... if so... then I would have your cv joint checked out, or maybe your bearing...
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
tinkertank

Post by tinkertank »

Sounds quite a bit like an airplane. Thanks for the tip! I'll check those out. I think one of the CVs are going anyway because I hear a "tock tock tock" when I take a right turn corner.<BR>Thanks again,<BR>Martin
MX-3 - 4 cyl. ('92)
bakedyeti

Post by bakedyeti »

my car started making alot of road noise and vibrated when i started to go over 50. and then boom my tire blows out on the thruway.
tinkertank

Post by tinkertank »

Yikes! Maybe I should have new tires put on then? :eek:
MX-3 - 4 cyl. ('92)
bluefirert

Post by bluefirert »

the "tock tock tock" is most likely your cv joint. if i'm rigt that should only be about 120-150 U.S.D. to fix. i had very bad road noise on my car and also very bad handling until i got new tires. car is much quieter now and feels much better going down the road. go get them checked out, they'll be able to tell you if you need new ones or not... just be careful so that you dont get swindled into buying 4 new tires, ultimate rotation package, 3 circus tents, and a santa suit.
tinkertank

Post by tinkertank »

LOL!! :D I'll make sure I don't get the Circus tent!<BR>I think the CV joints are starting to go.<BR>Gotta save up for that one!
MX-3 - 4 cyl. ('92)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”