Turbo for a 4 cylinder

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
fictionaldaydream

Turbo for a 4 cylinder

Post by fictionaldaydream »

I saw a turbo for a miata that said it would fit on in mx-3. I don't remember the link but if you do a search you can find it. I was wondering could this be the same one from greddy? :D
mazda20

Re: Turbo for a 4 cylinder

Post by mazda20 »

Was it a custom setup like mine or was it aftermarket kit, because your better off just buying each part seperately and building it yourself. The turbo and the intercooler would probably be the only things that dont have to be modified to fit.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
pmcgarty

Post by pmcgarty »

I was interested in this question too! Is it worth buying a turbo for the 4 cyl.? I am eventually planning an engine swap (a KL-ze from a-spec seems to be the best deal), but I'd like to do something in the meantime. Has anyone else boosted their 4 cyl.? What are the costs involved? Would buying a turbo off ebay be advisable? What turbo would be best? whats a good price for a turbo?<P>Cheers<BR>pete<P>p.s. mike your link for your webpage doesn't work...<p>[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: my1stmx-3 ]
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Check my site for the how to on this it will explain alot, What's most important is getting the turbo (VJ-14 or similiar) and the manifold for that turbo, i.e. corksport sells a manifold for the VJ-14 turbo.<P>Now when buying a turbo if it is used like mine more than likely you will have to have it rebuilt ($250-$300US).<P>I have a VJ-14 turbo that pushes 8PSI of boost and I have 5PSI of boost at 2500 RPM and it skyrockets to 8PSI before it even gets to 3000RPM. So needless to say people would die for that type of boost. It all comes down to how good your setup is not the type of turbo or the intercooler. <P> <B>8PSI of Boost is 8PSI of boost.</B><p>[ June 21, 2002: Message edited by: Kick @#$ Mazda ]
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
fictionaldaydream

Post by fictionaldaydream »

Hey Kick @#$ Mazda, if I can have some time of yours. Could you please tell me step by step how you took about the interior. I would like to paint mine white also. :D
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

No, don't get the VJ-14, if you want to spend the money, and get the MOST out of your engine, Go for a FULL Engine Modification, and go for the VJ-16 Turbo (18psi max) it's alot better than the VJ-14
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
TedLeeper

Post by TedLeeper »

does any one have a link to where i could buy one of these turbos?
Hmm. what to do now..
....maybe a VTEC for lunch.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

<A HREF="http://www.car-parts.com" TARGET=_blank>www.car-parts.com</A> <A HREF="http://www.corksport.com" TARGET=_blank>www.corksport.com</A> <BR>or go a google search for<BR>IHI turbos...<BR>you can get the exhaust manifold form corksport or car-parts.com<P><BR>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by white94mx3:<BR><STRONG>No, don't get the VJ-14, if you want to spend the money, and get the MOST out of your engine, Go for a FULL Engine Modification, and go for the VJ-16 Turbo (18psi max) it's alot better than the VJ-14</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>We are talking about a bolt on setup your not going to benefit by getting the bigger turbo unless later on down the road you are planning on an engine swap. You can pick up a VJ-14 turbo anywhere, junkyards, turbo shops even ebay occasionally. Don't waste your money unless you got plenty because you probably only want to run 8psi to be safe anyways.
My MX-3 Website
white94mx3

Post by white94mx3 »

That's why I said, "If You want to Spend the Money" In other words, if you have the money to spend, go all out! if you want to find the VJ-16, Just search it on yahoo or somthing, the Turbo it's self is $1,100 and depending on the engine, you might want to Rebuild it For better Performace, and you'll need Performace injectors, Stand alone Engine Managment System, a Metal head, better cams and what not,(if you have the 1.6L DOHC) You'll end up spending about $10,000 on Engine Mods before your engine can handle the VJ-16's Full Potential (18psi), but if you're on a Limited Budget and you want to go for somthing else alittle cheaper, then go for the VJ-14 [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] it's up to you
1994 Mazda MX-3 RS (Project RS-T)
maldo

Post by maldo »

Sorry to say, but that is a load of crap. You don't need all those mods before you can use the vj16. No metal head gasket is required, a Felpro unit can handle 18psi. The only thing you really need is good fuel management and tuning, 2.5" exhaust as a minimum, good spark. Sure cams would help extract an extra few ponies but they aren't needed. Many of the GTXers are running VJ11s or VJ16s with basic mods. The VJ16 is one spec down from the Group N Rally spec'ed VJ17. The VJ14 only flows 190cfm, the vj11 is around 260cfm, vj16 is nearer to 300cfm (I believe).<P>Do some research.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

One thing that we failed to mention here though is a good hybrid turbo too. dallasturbo makes a nice VJ-11/VJ-14 Hybrid turbo, I don't have the spec on it, but I will talk to Mike down there and get them for us. What I do know about it though is it has quick spool up like 5PSI at 2500RPM, but holds boost much better than the VJ-14 does on the high end.
My MX-3 Website

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”