Changing the Distributor O-Ring...

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shades

Changing the Distributor O-Ring...

Post by Shades »

Here's my ordeal:<BR>I have an oil leak coming from the engine. Everyone I take it too says that it's either the valve cover gasket or the distributor o-ring... apparently a common thing on MX-3's. I changed the valve cover gasket... so I'm thinking it's the distributor o-ring. But there's oil running all down the side of the engine facing the front of the car.<P>Here's my questions:<BR>True that the valve cover gasket and distributor o-ring are a common problem on MX-3's? If not what are some common oil leak problems and fixes?<P>Has anyone changed the distributor o-ring themselves? How hard is it to do? <P>I just bought a Chilton's, but it's for a combination of Mazda cars including the MX-3. If anyone has used this as a reference for changing the distributor o-ring, let me know if it was helpful.<P>Do I need to know anything special for the change? Like the timing?<P>Thanks, JoN
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
boostedmx

Re: Changing the Distributor O-Ring...

Post by boostedmx »

if it is coming down the front of your engine its prolly the valve cover gasket. if it is the distributer o ring then its not that hard to do at all. mark the dist. before you take it out and it should be fine when you put it back together. i dont think it is a common thing with mx's to leak but that might because mine never did.
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
fieval79
Supporting Member

Post by fieval79 »

i just bought the distributor 0-ring from the local shop.....it was $0.69!!!!!!! Here I was thinking that my oil leak was going to cost me a bundly....heheh.....still haven't put it in though...<P>I've been lazy lately......have had new brake pads for a week, and are still in the box....
Shades

Post by Shades »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fieval79:<BR><STRONG>i just bought the distributor 0-ring from the local shop.....it was $0.69!!!!!!! Here I was thinking that my oil leak was going to cost me a bundly....heheh.....still haven't put it in though...<P>I've been lazy lately......have had new brake pads for a week, and are still in the box....</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Let me know when you do change the o-ring...

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

-=deathtrap-mx3=-

Post by -=deathtrap-mx3=- »

my poor car leaks non-stop. finally after i took it to the dealership(third place in 5 months) it stopped. local shops here suck
Looking for a 94+GS for KL-ZE fun :)
02 Protege DX Retired
93 MX-3 RS Gone But Not Forgotten
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

So is timing not an issue here?<BR>Do you still need to check the timing after you replace the O-ring or gasket?
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
Shades

Post by Shades »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kick @#$ Mazda:<BR><STRONG>So is timing not an issue here?<BR>Do you still need to check the timing after you replace the O-ring or gasket?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I'm not sure... BUT, I changed to O-ring today. I used the Chilton's manual... basically you mark everything... which way everything is pointing and whatever. I guess as long as you do that the timing will be fine. It was easy only took me about an hour to change the O-ring... Mazda wanted $75 CDN to do the job for an O-ring that cost me $5.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”