compression problem!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
flexpat

compression problem!

Post by flexpat »

My 4-cylinder mx-3 has a problem with one of the cylinders...The #2 cylinder is considerably less efficient than the others, however the car seems to be running very smoothly right now. The mechanic I took the car to said the cylinder became more efficient when he added oil but it would cost alot to fix the problem because of all the labour to get @ the engine. Do you guys have any suggestions or know of any products that might help my problem... I saw an info-mercial of Z-MAX which is "supposed" to help the cylinders compression, has anyone used this product, does it work?<BR> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.<BR> :) :)
dam2009

Re: compression problem!

Post by dam2009 »

when I had low compression I had to replace 2 valves, they were seazed. what you could try is slick 50 engine treatment or motor up but the chances are very slim to get that fixed by addid those or any others...
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

you need rings -temporary solutions will only cost you more money
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
edgyloner

Post by edgyloner »

I have a 93 MX-3 4cyl 1.6 4 speed manual with 174,000 miles. I have low compression on one of the cylinders so the car fails the North Carolina emissions 2 years in a row. I have to spend a minimum of $300 to try to correct the problem so I can show my NC emissions inspector my receipts so he can give me a sticker. The car actually runs great. I want to keep it. Usually I'll have to get a complete tune-up to cover the $300 requirement to stay legal, but of course that doesn't fix the problem, it just gets me a sticker. My question is, how much would it cost to repair the low cylinder, and is it worth it at this point? Any ideas?
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

A cheapy rebuild ie. rings and bearings...or real cheap "engine restore" it has particles in it that help the seal in the cylinder...it will help your motor even out compression across cylinders....this stuff actually works....depending on how bad the comp. is
Steve
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

Just curious,How is compression ratio calculated or increased.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”