Heat doesn't come on when it's cold outside etc

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
prpc614

Heat doesn't come on when it's cold outside etc

Post by prpc614 »

I have a 1992 MX-3, have not had any problem at all untill now (did replace muffler). First my heater fan wouldn't come on occassionally. When it happened & I had to miss work because no defroster we replaced the heater fan motor. Then I found out that it still didn't come on when outside temp was below 25 deg & sitting all night.<P>Also, at the same time this was happening my car started overheating. I'd warm up my car to get the heater fan going, only to have my car go into the red area. It cools down when I drive it on the highway and then heats up when I slow down or stop at a light. Have taken it into the mechanic and all fans are working. He feels that the main cooling fan isn't moving the volume of air it should. He recommended using the air conditioning while this was happening to see if added it would help. I did that and it's had no effect at all. Any suggestions on what this all can be? <P>Probably not connected but my wind shield wipers don't work or work only occasionally in the intermittant position. They work fine in all other positions.<BR> <BR>Would really appeciate any feed back anyone can give me.<P>Thanks,<BR>Pam
back alley

Re: Heat doesn't come on when it's cold outside etc

Post by back alley »

have you checked your thermostat and antifreeze/coolant strength?
dam2009

Post by dam2009 »

check the thermostat .. and the rad fan plug
pulse101

Post by pulse101 »

how many miles?<P>sounds like a radiator to me.<BR>if the fan is working, then it is working. some engines have a clutch on the fan, this one doesn't.<P>if your radiator looks to be in good shape (no corrosion) then take it to be cleaned. get a flush and fill on your entire system. you may want to check your heater core as well, if you are still having heating problems. the mx-3 tends to have issues with the heater core clogging or having a low-flow.
1992 White MX3 1.6l SOHC
- For Sale - 105,000 miles / 3,000 miles on engine
- Original B6 Bored 2 Over
- Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
- Short Shifter
- Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
- KYB GR-2 Shocks/Struts
- Steel Braided Front Brake Lines
- Reverse indiglo gauges and carbon fiber trim
- Front and Rear Strut Tower Bars
- 17" Sumitomo Tires on Anthracite/Chrome Loco Wheels
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

It is your thermostat.... as those are the exact symptoms when the thermostat is stuck close. Easy and inexpensive to repair
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”