Driving Standard

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
flyguy

Driving Standard

Post by flyguy »

I can drive standard alright, just learn a few months ago.... but on my 93 4-cyl. how high can I take my rmps? like at first gear im changing at around 15 kms, which is like 2 rmps... how high can I take my Rpm in first?? and whats consider banging my car? 4 rmp
Swego

Re: Driving Standard

Post by Swego »

I sometimes run my mx3 up to 6000-6500rpm in 1st and 2nd. I always wait till the engine is warmed up before doing so.<p>[ June 11, 2002: Message edited by: Swego ]
dam2009

Post by dam2009 »

if I don't have too much money for the gas... I don't go more than 3000 ... if i'm "stepping on it" around 5000-6000 <BR>so ... if you'll drive normally around 3-4000 your engine will last longer
94MX3

Post by 94MX3 »

the redlines around 6.5 right is it bad to redline it then drop it or what i know some people do it and others dont i only do it when im racing but would it hurt
No Cop No Stop I Dont Care<P>Daniel Jones<BR>94' Mx-3 RS<BR>Blaze Red<BR>1.6L DOHC
RiP401k

Post by RiP401k »

I normaly change gears at 4000 rpm, i find it gives a nicer ride.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I drive stick. I find I change around 4-5 rpms in all gears. When the engine is cold the transition between gears is a lot jerkier. After it warms up I find I don't have to let the rpms get so high. Also at higher gears I find that you don't have to change at a higher rpm. If you change gears at a too low rpm then it puts stress on your transmition. That's what I've been told... I'm a learner too... so that's my 2 cents... I started in March.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

I usually change gear between 3500 and 4000 rpm. Makes for a smooth ride.<BR>Also remember that the car is most fuel efficient at around 3000 rpm (mine runs around 14.5 km/liter at that)<BR>Going to 4000 rpm drops the fuel ecomony to around 12 km/liter.
Balhirath

Post by Balhirath »

opps.. I forgot to mention that I have the 1.8 v6 engine. Someone here have the data for the 4 cylinder ?
Maddbuck

Post by Maddbuck »

My advice on driving stick.<P>when your engine is cold you shouldn't drive you car hard, you should be light footed and change out around 3000rpm.<BR>Once the engine is warm you can return to normal driving habits and change gear where ever in the rpm range.<BR>Reasons: engine and transmission oil does not flow as efficiently as it should when cold. That is why the gear shift is jerky until the car is warm.<P>Redlining - then engine is designed to go that high but is is generally not recommended to. In my opinion it should be done every once in a while, helps clean out of the engine and keeps it from getting 'lazy'. <P>just my 2c also :D
94MX3

Post by 94MX3 »

Alright thx.....
No Cop No Stop I Dont Care<P>Daniel Jones<BR>94' Mx-3 RS<BR>Blaze Red<BR>1.6L DOHC
Palofpits

Post by Palofpits »

if ya know how to clutch properly,the mx-3 is pretty smooth transitioning at any rpm before redline.(or perhaps beyond?)

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”