How much HP will the stock 5spd tranny handle?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Raivynn

How much HP will the stock 5spd tranny handle?

Post by Raivynn »

I know the clutch will need to be replaced, but how much hp abuse can the tranny handle? I'm planning on a B6T (or rebuilding my engine to handle a turbo) here sometime, and I'm going to also change over the tranny, and just need to know if I need a better tranny. If so, what tranny will I need? <P>Also, was the B6T a DOHC?<P>--Rai
Raivynn

Re: How much HP will the stock 5spd tranny handle?

Post by Raivynn »

Eeek! Wrong forum! Sorry!! >_< Can one of the moderators please move this to the 4cyl tech/performance forum?
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by oo7sniper:<BR><STRONG>I have the J-Spec B6-T in my 93 MX-3 RS. The B6-T is DOHC but my stock motor was the SOHC. My stock MX-3 tranny was used with only 40,000 miles on it with a slipping Centerforce Dual Friction clutch. it only took me 5,000 miles to break the differential on that tranny. My B6-T is some wear around 180HP w/ 190lbs/ft torque. I would recommend you go ahead and upgrade your tranny, drive shafts, clutch, & flywheel taken from a 90-94 Protege LX 1.8L DOHC. I'm going to use either a ACT or Clutch Masters clutch.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Did you swap the B6T or the BPT? I know the BPT has 180HP but I didn't think the B6T did. I was told it was more along the lines of 150HP I could be wrong tho.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Rayman

Post by Rayman »

i think the question u should be asking is how much torque will the stock tranny hold....a tranny can hold 345345.66345HP all it wants....but torque is what break things.<P>but no i do not have the exact number at which the tranny will break...and doubt anyone else would...
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

Lauzier's G series Protege tranny lasted until 350lb-ft of torque....then it started spitting pieces. From talking to a couple of IT racers, the main problem isnt in the tranny, but the aluminum case. It flexes, which throws everything else off, and therefore, bad stuff happens. He said it wouldnt be overly hard to correct for a good machine shop, but for his purposes, he's not allowed to play with it.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”