Popping Noise

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Skiddy

Popping Noise

Post by Skiddy »

I have been driving with this noise for severla months now and it is starting to piss me off. When I make a left hand turn i hear this constant poping noise untill I straighten out the wheel and go straight. ANd If i turn right sometimes after straightening out i hear the same noise once. I had it looked at by mazda and they told me I needed new motor mounts and new stablizer links which would cost $500. Then i had it looked at by a local guy and he said that there was absolutley nothing wrong with the mounts of links and he wasn't too sure what the noise was. Can anyone help me? I would really like to find out what this thing is soon. thanks in advance
Skiddy
94' MX-3 RS Sparkle Green
Suspension Technique Springs
MS Style Nose
OEM Side Skirts
back alley

Re: Popping Noise

Post by back alley »

cv joints?
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

CV joints = not cheap??<P>They aren't very expensive either...I replaced both of my front axles for like $120 (parts), and one of my freinds put them in for me...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
Skiddy

Post by Skiddy »

Another thing is I just replaced both of my front axles not 6 months ago. One at Mazda which was a mistake because they ripped me a new hole. And i did the other one like 3 months after that. My axles cost me like 300 from mazda and 150 from a local shop.
Skiddy
MS Style Nose
OEM Side Skirts
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Check the plates on the top of your struts, if they're gone, the popping noise could be the spring uncoiling unproperly. Same sound from my car, that's what a friend told be to check, haven't had a chance yet though. Either that or the CV joints as other people have mentioned.
1993 MX-3 RS/GS-R Under Construction
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

I got the same problem with my car. Everytime I turn left, there is a popping or clicking noise from the rear. When I straighten out, the noise goes away. My two mechanics say it is strut/shock related, specifically the bushings at the top of the shock that is worn. I'm due to replace the shocks anyway.
Skiddy

Post by Skiddy »

I know exactley the noise, i thought it was struts, and I had them replaced like 2 weeks ago, Solved some other noises, but not this one. I was hoping struts would fix it. And I will say struts cost me a fortune. Hopefully I can fix this problem soon because it is getting pretty annoying.
Skiddy
MS Style Nose
OEM Side Skirts
renef

Post by renef »

Gentlemen, popping noises, wheels turning...<P>I would look at the ball-joints and check the bushings. All of them.<P>Have a friend ouside of the car as you pull into the driveway to listen for the noise and try to pinpoint the source.<P>Put it up on JACK STANDS, not the cheap factory jack, or a set of auto ramps.<P>Start pushing and pulling at the suspension components until you find the loose rod, shock, spring, swaybar or disintegrated rubber bushing. Compare the movement with the other side.<P>You're gonna owe me a beer if I'm right.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
I_love_my_MX-3

Post by I_love_my_MX-3 »

try the cheapest first, replace the CV boots. Thats what was wrong with mine and it stopped popping, do it soon though because it could lead to joint probs later.<P>-Alex
1992 MX-3 handed down to my sis :)
1992 MR-2 Turbo sold and missed :(
1995 Integra GS-R :)

Skiddy

Post by Skiddy »

Ok, I jacked my car up the other day and i believe it is my CV Joints. f I am looking at the passanger wheel and looking from the side. the rod that is loose is the far front rod. I can pull it back and forth, lots of play. then i heard if you put the wheel back on and if you can turn it back and forth or up and down that is how you can tell there is a problem. I can move my wheel in and out and I hear the noise. Does anyone know what i am talking about and know exactley if it is CV Joints or something else. Thanks
Skiddy
MS Style Nose
OEM Side Skirts
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

Sounds like the tie rod ends going bad, had the same problem with my Toyota. The mechanic pushed and pulled on the wheel, it moved and made noises, and he said it was the tie rod ends. My CV joints were bad also but they only popped on corners.
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

Bearing, and CV joints. Replace the whole drive axle. It will be the passenger side if it pops when you turn left. Drive axle will cost between 100-150 CDN. Bearing is about 40. <P>Sorry for the late reply
1993 MX-3 RS/GS-R Under Construction

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”