Oil Filter - Best Out there

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
GuyverXL

Oil Filter - Best Out there

Post by GuyverXL »

Can anyone tell me what's the BEST OIL/AIR Filter out in the market ?<P>And if you have the Part # it would be great.<P>Mx-3<BR>1996, 1.6 DOHC 4cyl<P>Thanks
Mazda Mx-3 1996<BR>4cyl
mxcess

Re: Oil Filter - Best Out there

Post by mxcess »

K&N, but I don't know if they make OEM style filters for our car. I use Fram. Just 'cause I'm a cheap ba***rd. :D
Wheelz

Post by Wheelz »

K&N does make an OEM style filter for the car. I have one and while i can't notice appreciable gains in acceleration on my bone stock machine, fuel mileage is better. K&N part # is 33-2083 for my 1.6L SOHC. I thank myself all the time for keeping old boxes around.
1993 MX-3 RS/GS-R Under Construction
renef

Post by renef »

FRAM oil filters. Purolator oil filters. Original Mazda oil filters. ALL WORK FINE.<P>In Pep Boys, look at the Purolator catalog next to the filters.<P>the FRAMs for Mazda 1.6 MX3 end in 3593A<P>The big orange ones have been awsome for the turbo car.<P>RF
White 1992 MX-3 RS Turbo<BR>"Live Boosted or Die!"
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I absolutely hate Fram. I only use Wix. 51354 is the part number I think. I worked at an auto supply store for about five years and I personally took back about seven filters due to leaking or coming apart at the seams. Wix filters have a magnetic spring in the center to hold metal particles. I know our engines are mostly aluminum but the rotating pieces arent. Hope this helps. ;)
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Alt-Tab

Post by Alt-Tab »

Found this after a quick search in the archives:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Abrams:<BR><STRONG><BR>From: "Jeff Abrams" <clavier@b...><BR>Date: Mon Sep 10, 2001 10:37 am<BR>Subject: RE: [Mazda MX-3] burning oil<BR> <BR>If you are burning oil, nothing will make a difference short of engine work.<BR>The black color is combustion byproducts making their way into the oil.<P>After a fair amount of research, I have decided that the Purolator "Pure<BR>ONE" is the best oil filter for the money.<BR>If you don't care how much money you spend, I recommend the Amsoil filter.<BR>It is the best.<P>The Pure ONE filter has the best anti-drain back system, a better, more<BR>dense filter component, and it is assembled better utilizing metal<BR>components.<P>OTOH, a "cheapie" like Quaker State or such is usually made of glued<BR>cardboard inside and won't have a drain back valve at all, or one that is<BR>made of hard plastic.<P>I HIGHLY recommend this page: <A HREF="http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfilterstudy.html" TARGET=_blank>http://members.nbci.com/minimopar/oilfi ... dy.html</A> <P>A very comprehensive study of the various filters available.<P>The Deutsch brand is really a Champion filter and is also sold under the<BR>names Lee, Lee Maxi, and STP.<P>---<P>Jeff Abrams<BR>clavier@b...<P>SUPERCHARGED 2.5 liter 1993 Mazda MX-3 GS <A HREF="http://www.mazdamaniac.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mazdamaniac.com</A> <BR>TURBOCHARGED 1997 Mazda MX-5 Miata<BR></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><p>[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: Alt-Tab ]
Taylor<P>1995 Chevy C1500 Dark Blue<BR>* 305 (5.0L V8)<BR>* Hypertech Performance chip<BR>* Dynomax dual exhaust<P>SOLD: 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport - Flame Red<BR>* 3.9L V6 - 175 hp<BR>* Flowmaster dual exhaust<P>I Miss my MX-3:<BR>1992 MX-3 GS Blaze Red

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”