The B6T will soon be mine!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shady469
Supporting Member

The B6T will soon be mine!

Post by Shady469 »

in a month or so my engine bay will be the happy home of a 1.6L 16v 4 cyl. turbo:the b6t!! I talked to corksport and they said it could handle 17 psi boost(stock turbo can only push 14) and a 40 hp shot of nitrious!!! JOY!! I'm gettin a rx-7 fuel pump, lx injectors,a new clutch, an apexi piggy back cpu and a pakfeifer inlet for the hole that'll be in my hood. is there anything else i'm gonna need that you guys can think of? oh yeah the b6t has 16valves right? the guy said yes but he didnt sound to sure. Ive got a custom exhaust in the works as well.<BR>heheehe wish me luck<P> :) :) :) :)
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
OsoSlo z28

Re: The B6T will soon be mine!

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

congrats bro. if you don't mind me asking...what's the apexi cpu? are you talking about the apex super air flow converter(s-afc)? either way, that's cool. i found a 323 gtr motor. hopefully it will be done by christmas. when do you plan on having this complete? get a dyno before and after so you can compare. they said the motor could hold 17psi? is that on stock internals or is that the block in general?
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

Yeah the s afc. he said that the rx -7 MAF sensor would work on an mx-3 but i'm not to sure about that. he said it would hold the 17psi and nitro boost as is, so i guess that's internals and block.I should be getting the engine next month, mid. Nov. but getting all the stuff and having it put on might take until feb. See my b-day is in feb and I wanna drive it outta the shop on my b-day all nice and new(yeah i know....dorky).<BR>oh well. i can't find a dyno anywhere. the only thing i can do really is go to the local track (1.5 hours away).<BR>I'll let ya know how it goes. R U gonna have the same problem about having to cut your hood for the manifold to fit? if so what scoop r u gonna put on it or what r u gonna do about it?<p>[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: Shady469 ]
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

no probs for me as far as the hood goes. your motor sits straight up in the engine bay. mine sits like the factory motor at a tilt. i believe if you put your intake manifold on the b6t, you won't have to cut a hole..but i'm not sure about that. check it out.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
maldo

Post by maldo »

Don't forget that you need a new ecu from the same year LX as your MX-3. When you talk to the guys at Corksport, stay away from Ben. He knows nothing. The B6T can handle 300hp without being reinforced with new pistons.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i was reading my instruction book for my s-afc. it doesn't have the mx-3 listed. you'll have to take your car to a performance shop and see if they kind find what type of sensor your car has(pressure,hot-wire, flap, or karman) and also the sensor # that will need to be used. if you can't find this info out, you won't be able to use it. (well, you can...but you stand a good chance of messing up your engine)
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

<p>[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Shady469 ]
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

thats what the guy at Apex said but I live in Va. and there isn't a shop that carries Apex stuff around here.<BR>Hey Cre8v: Do you have the B6T?? Are you sure that my intake manifold will work?Derrick sent me an e-mail and said that they saw no way around the cutting of the hood but if i don't have too thatd be bad @ss. Other than that do u have any suggestions on the install?<BR>Also, What I/C, BOV should i get (i want it loud..)<BR>oh yeah maldo, derrick (in the email)said that as long as i had a AFC or other type of controller i wouldnt need the LX ecu??<BR>thanx again
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i got an e-mail from cork sport. i'll dig it up and see exactly what it said about the intake manifold. no, i don't have a b6t. i had thought about getting one but then i found a good deal on the GT-r motor. as for BOV's....i've got the blitz ssbov. it's "real" loud but it also has an adapter filter to make it quieter if that's what you want.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

found it. this is word for word what they wrote to me.....<P>Problems we encountered.<P>#1<BR>The B6T was meant to sit straight up in the engine bay. The MX3 has a tilted<BR>engine (towards the front). The B6T intake manifold hits the hood. We have<BR>to cut a hold in the hood of the car and put a subtle hood scoop on the car to<BR>hide the hole we had cut. The way to solve the problem is use your mx3<BR>cylinder head and intake manifold. The B6T exhaust manifold will fit the MX3<BR>head. The MX3 intake manifold is a better design.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

From what i've gotten from Vuangh is that it is a bad idea to use the DOHC mx-3 head and intake manifold on the b6-t. IF you want to use you mx-3 manifold you have to use the mx-3 head. The mx-3 head is a lean burn emessions spec head, not good for turbo.<P>The intake manifold is a good manifold on a turbo with its longer runners. If you want to change the manifold save up and get the e-spec intake manifold for the b6-t<P><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cre8v mx3:<BR><STRONG>found it. this is word for word what they wrote to me.....<P>Problems we encountered.<P>#1<BR>The B6T was meant to sit straight up in the engine bay. The MX3 has a tilted<BR>engine (towards the front). The B6T intake manifold hits the hood. We have<BR>to cut a hold in the hood of the car and put a subtle hood scoop on the car to<BR>hide the hole we had cut. The way to solve the problem is use your mx3<BR>cylinder head and intake manifold. The B6T exhaust manifold will fit the MX3<BR>head. The MX3 intake manifold is a better design.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

I will add somethings i have learned since my project started.<BR>1 The apex unit is limiting the potential of the car. If you go with an after market computer unit it will do you better and safer for the long hall envest the money it is worth it. I had the apex and was not happy with the limits cause you eventually will want to go faster. simply put more tuning for more power.<BR>2 I have the whole mx-3 head on my 323 block <BR>and it was ported i would have been able to run 18 lbs of boost on the ported 323 head but now the mx-3 has natural bigger ports and with them being ported the numbers are saying closer now to 22lbs of boost. But I do have a bigger turbo also from no one favorite thomsa knight his stage two t3/to4b good for 350 hp and a soon to be added 4 fogger system shot 100 nos big power looks like it maybe a 12 sec car once the suspension is looked at do your reaserch man to see were you want your mx-3 to be. email me at texmx3@hotmail.com if you need help.
pakix2000

Post by pakix2000 »

Willie I'm not trying to critisize you but<BR>1) Most people don't have 1500 dollars laying around for an engine managment system.<BR>2) If the benifit of using the mx-3 head is <BR> pushing boost to 22lbs than its defitnely <BR> not worth it. That is serious race stuff<BR> that can't be done on the stock turbo, and <BR> at 22lbs of boost you are at the limit<BR> of the stock block also!<BR> Furthermore I don't know of any mazda<BR> tranny that can take that much power for<BR> long. If you were going to go serious<BR> all out drag race than yeah, going with<BR> the mx-3 head could be a good idea, but <BR> if you were going to be competing why not<BR> use a bpt from the start.<P>I think for most people using the protege <BR>ECU or AFC is a good compromise between price<BR>and power. :cool:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by texmx3:<BR><STRONG>I will add somethings i have learned since my project started.<BR>1 The apex unit is limiting the potential of the car. If you go with an after market computer unit it will do you better and safer for the long hall envest the money it is worth it. I had the apex and was not happy with the limits cause you eventually will want to go faster. simply put more tuning for more power.<BR>2 I have the whole mx-3 head on my 323 block <BR>and it was ported i would have been able to run 18 lbs of boost on the ported 323 head but now the mx-3 has natural bigger ports and with them being ported the numbers are saying closer now to 22lbs of boost. But I do have a bigger turbo also from no one favorite thomsa knight his stage two t3/to4b good for 350 hp and a soon to be added 4 fogger system shot 100 nos big power looks like it maybe a 12 sec car once the suspension is looked at do your reaserch man to see were you want your mx-3 to be. email me at texmx3@hotmail.com if you need help.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

my point was to give options my management unit was only 1100 shipped and delivered and no lap top. The limits of boost I have set for myself Crd motorsports has said 29 lbs of boost the main thing is that you must and i mean must have an external wastegate, to run that much boost. the ? i pose is why is the n/a block able to handle 18 lbs of boost and not detonate after every day driving. the problem is most people listen to what other think they know and not do the research to find out for them selves and my best advice is always research before you spend the money your investing in a good project so do not have any regrets when you are finshed.
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

My other coment i had was that most mazda trannies are good for 350 depending on your launch one thing people need to rember is that many people drive harder on the street than they will at the track. as far the boost for it to run that high effiiently you must port the head of the either mx-3 or 323.<BR>reeson being is theat any one can run 15 lbs of boost but if it is not good air your power gain might be at 12 lbs of boost right.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”