Want to make something big

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Brainless

Want to make something big

Post by Brainless »

Yesterday I had my first drag race experience. I loved it but with my 88hp I had hard time getting under 18sec at 1/4 mile. So I've started looking for possible engine that would fit under my hood. The best choice seems to be the BPT but I'm not planing to do this real soon so I don't know if the engine will still be available. So I was thinking of the miata engine. I know this is not an easy swap but I'd really like to have your thoughts on that. :D
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Want to make something big

Post by Custommx3 »

BPT is a 1.8 turbo. the b6t is the 1.6L a better bolt on less modification and WAY less price. much easier to come by too.<P>1.8l requires a different tranny as well.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

Miata's are rear-wheel drive too (and some are 6-speeds). It's gonna be kinda tough...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> BPT is a 1.8 turbo. the b6t is the 1.6L a better bolt on less modification and WAY less price. much easier to come by too.<BR>1.8l requires a different tranny as well.<P><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I agree the b6t is easier to come by and is cheaper, but modification wise, it's more difficult and the 1.8L mounts up to the stock tranny.<P>performance wise, it's best to try for the BPT or BPD. the B6T is a good engine, but the BP series is a better platform to work on from the performance aspect. and believe it or not, the BPT is farely easy to come by. it's the BPD(gtr:235hp) that's hard to find.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Custommx3:<BR><STRONG>BPT is a 1.8 turbo. the b6t is the 1.6L a better bolt on less modification and WAY less price. much easier to come by too.<P>1.8l requires a different tranny as well.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But why the hell would I want to put a B6T under my hood. I sais "something big". ;)
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
RanMan

Post by RanMan »

The Miata engine (I am pretty sure) is the same as the MX-3, except that it is not transverse mounted. I think that the block and internal components are all the same. I am not 100% sure on that though. I would think that ANY internal part (as in Pistons, crank, cams, etc) for a Miata engine would fit into the MX-3.
Brainless

Post by Brainless »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RanMan:<BR><STRONG>The Miata engine (I am pretty sure) is the same as the MX-3, except that it is not transverse mounted. I think that the block and internal components are all the same. I am not 100% sure on that though. I would think that ANY internal part (as in Pistons, crank, cams, etc) for a Miata engine would fit into the MX-3.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thax but I'm talking about the hole engine and tranny. Cause performance part for that engine are easier to find so I guess boosting up my car would be easier too. :roll:
Jonathan Michaud
93 Red RS
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

if you're talking about making the mx rear wheel drive(that's the only way the miata tranny will work) you will need a lot of money. if you want a rear wheel drive mazda, you'd be better off buying the miata...or even better..the rx-7.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Manach

Post by Manach »

Well, something big, hey? Want to stay in which king of engine? 4 or 6 cylinders? Think a-spec.com can put a Kl-ze for 5000$ and change supension and such. If performance, and got money? I might go wild. How much or Forged Rods for the piston and the crankshaft? A friend of mine is planning too much things at a time. I gather part of information here and there. Turbo, if you stay on 4 cylinders, is a must for perfomance, but the engine must not break, or hold together. Saw a Honda Accord using NOS breaking a piston or two on drags. Those thing must resist the pression. Heard Forge Piston Rod would be able to withstand anything. But that, will be me to see :) I'll be there, trying to see Mx-3's, and my friend's car trying to break the 12 seconds ;)<P>Two cents again.
Manach
Ex Mx'er with a Mx-3 1993..

Still in the Mazda Familly with :
-Mazda Rx-7 1987 GXL (Not running, one housing does not compress)
-Mazda Protege MazdaSpeed 2003.5 Titanium!

Still got 3 Engines!
- B6-ZE : Turbo Festiva project (Waiting donor car)
- BP-DE : Trader for a B6-ZE 1994 for parts upgrade in the Festiva project
- K8 : For sell. Pm me for info!

Once you go turbo, you can never go back!

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”