changing the intake hose from the air sensor to the thro

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
CoSpringsMx-3

changing the intake hose from the air sensor to the thro

Post by CoSpringsMx-3 »

Ok i have seen alot of posts that have talked about chaging the air hose from the throttle body to a larger 3 inch diameter. Most suggest using the metal flex hsoing from like home depot. My question is how you fasten the 2 small hoses inot this pipe. The houses are the one that goes into the valve cover and the other goes underneath. I think its the vaccum hose and something. Anyways how do you connect these to the new hose? How do you secure them? I need detailed info? Thank you in advance...
mendel00985

Re: changing the intake hose from the air sensor to the thro

Post by mendel00985 »

OK Bud, you've got to get fittings which you'll permanently install through holes which you'll make in the new larger intake hose; I've used epoxy for the good seal and strength; do this w/ time on your hands so that you'll give the epoxy enough time to cure or set-up properly and that's about it. TIP: use the original intake hose as a guide for locating the new holes for the hoses...lotsa luck.....Manny
CoSpringsMx-3

Post by CoSpringsMx-3 »

Ok since Im relatively new around here, where can I get fittings? WHta are they? what they llok like? you know the details? Thanx again
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

ok, the fittings are nipple-like protusions where you'd connect the hoses you were inquiring about; these fittings or nipples are available at any Western Auto or Pep Boys or almost any automotive parts outlet. They are quite inexpensive, just make sure that they are the right size [measure the internal diameter of the hose and ask for a fitting w/ that EXTERNAL diameter] and make certain that the hoses are well clamped to avoid leakage. As I mentioned earlier, give the epoxy time to set-up and cure properly. Manny
CoSpringsMx-3

Post by CoSpringsMx-3 »

my last question is, the stock hoses seem to be a little stuck, how can i get them out? I dont want to damage anything. Thanx alot for all your help
mendel00985

Post by mendel00985 »

Try to gently twist and pull at the same time; if this does'nt work, try to warm up the hose ending w/ a rag that's been wet w/ hot water[don't burn yourself please] and/or use a small plier squeezing just hard enough 'bite' lightly into the hose and slowly twist as you pull at the same time; as a last resort, try inserting a small screwdriver between hose and fitting, prying gently as you pull and twist. This should do the trick....Manny

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”