want the affect of an intake?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jojo2k23

want the affect of an intake?

Post by jojo2k23 »

I recently removed my air duct(if thats what you call it).The plastic part that is screwed to your frame above the radiator which guides air to the filter.I removed that part and left it open for it to recieve more air and put in a new filter and you get more the affect of an intake.you get more power and quicker speed,try it.jojo2k23@aol.com<BR>
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: want the affect of an intake?

Post by Custommx3 »

Your also pulling in hotetr air off your engine, and not pulling the cold air from outside, therefore your not getting the gains you could be.<P>------------------<BR>Barry Clark<BR><I><B>Moderator</B></I><BR>1995 Mazda Mx-3 RS<BR>Chaste White<BR><A HREF="http://www.barrykclark.com" TARGET=_blank>barrykclark.com</A> <BR> barrykclark@hotmail.com
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

Actually its hotter here in tx than the car gets.
CoSpringsMx-3

Post by CoSpringsMx-3 »

Did u just replace ur filter with a regualr one? Or did u get one of the performance ones offered by mazdaspeed? Do u have more problems with crap getting in the air box? Also on my 92 rs i have an intake port that is tucked under the bumper directly under the air box. If I widened the port somehow would I see any gains fro mthe air flow?
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

no i kept the stock filter,though a performance filter may do better and i never have a problem with things gettin in my box or even water.you know that little box located on the right of the air box,i've put ice in there before,in a race,so i got a cold air effect which helps gas burn with a stronger combustion.(thats why a car may run smother on a cool night then a hot one.)I dont know what your talkin about when you mention something under your bumper,but i know if its air is bein force into your intake,you have a gain.
CoSpringsMx-3

Post by CoSpringsMx-3 »

Have you gotten any noticable gains from this mod? Any pick ups in the lower rpm curve?
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

a big difference in my car.i have a 92 4 cyl sohc,stick.
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

when in first gear i can punch it and see my rpm just rise and in 2nd in about 2400rpm you also punch it and feel hp.i race a eclipse 1997 today and smoked it.
CoSpringsMx-3

Post by CoSpringsMx-3 »

I have the same model 92 4 banger sohc. The little box to the right is where i think you iced it, is the same box i think that leads down to under the bumper where there is about a square inch intake port. This is the one I was talking about widening for more aire flow. The box leads up into the underneath of the airfilter box.
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

i dont think that box your talkin about leads ne where,cuz i looked it up and it saids it a resonace or something like that.
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

is your car stick or auto?
CoSpringsMx-3

Post by CoSpringsMx-3 »

Where did u look it up at? From what I can tell and what a friend of mine said at a local speed shop it connects to the box then is led by the hose connecting into the air filter box. It acts as an air circulator. Im not sure though. But you do have one as well under ur right bumper?<BR>
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

yea i've seen that box but not sure if it runs under the bumper(i'll ck that out)i think i saw a picture of it in the online manuel.
CoSpringsMx-3

Post by CoSpringsMx-3 »

I check out that port, and found out where it leads. It leads up to the battery tie down it fits under there, i guess to cool the battery or something I have no idea. But Im still curious as to y there is the side port from the air filter box that leads out into a hose that feeds into just a plastic box????<P>Josh
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

why dont you ask another member,I'm curious to know too.after i get out of work today,i'm gonna do some tuning and ck out that port your talkin about

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”