Do I need a new distributor?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Bob R

Do I need a new distributor?

Post by Bob R »

My 93 (4 cyl, automatic) dies on me. After driving about one mile, it’s like someone turned the key off. The dashboard lights up and I roll to a stop. When this first started, I could restart right away.<P>I put in a new distributor cap and the problem went away for a month. Now, when it dies it will crank healthy, but not re-start. After 2-3 hours, it will start.<P>I had it towed to the Mazda dealer, they drove it for 16 miles one day and then let it run for another 3 hours.<P>“Sorry sir, your car is fine”. I picked it up and it died ½ mile later. I had it towed home.<P>The dealer suspects the distributor ($800 from them or $235 and I do it). I’m not so sure, maybe the fuel pump?<P>Anyone have a similar experience?<P>Thanks,<P>Bob R [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>(All this while Derek Lowe pitched a no hitter for the Red Sox – I missed it.)<P>Hey back alley. You’re probably tired of hearing about my MX3 woes.
Bob R<P>I am what I am
Maddbuck

Re: Do I need a new distributor?

Post by Maddbuck »

Sounds like it could be the distributor. If you can afford it and know how change the whole distributor yourself.<BR> :roll:
Bob R

Post by Bob R »

Maddbuck <P>Acording to the Haynes repair manual, the toughest part would be to start at top dead center. A wrench on the drive shaft pully should do it.<P>I think I'll do that first, and if I can get it in position, then I'll buy the distributor.<P>Anyone else?<P>Bob R :p
Bob R<P>I am what I am
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

You need a torque wrench to turn it.Why do u think its the dist. by the way.
jojo2k23

Post by jojo2k23 »

Forgot to mention.carry a can of stp throttlebody cleaner,then next time it dies and it just cranks,have some1 crank it while u spray into a the throttle body vacuum line.if it starts immed.then its most likely a fuel prob.
Bob R

Post by Bob R »

jojo2k23<P>I think distributor for only two reasons.<P>The cap made it better for awhile, and the dealer (who could not find the problem!) suggests it.<P>I need to try to make it die and check the ignition coil spark, and to try your idea to check the fuel pump. It just stinks to do all this in a highway breakdown lane.<P>Bob R [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Bob R<P>I am what I am
Bob R

Post by Bob R »

btw jojo2k23<P>Why a torque wrench? I just need to turn the engine.<P>Bob R [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Bob R<P>I am what I am
back alley

Post by back alley »

hey bob, sorry u r still having trouble with your car. i hate that - when it happens to me!<BR>i'm no mechanic so i wont offer any solutions but i do hope it gets resolved soon so u can enjoy the open road again. i'm looking forward to the summer and some travel time tru the mountains (rockies). a group of us are taking in 3 folk music festivals in august. as much as i love my stereo, it can't quite give me that 'i'm there' feeling.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”