Do I need a new alternator?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
canadian_ice

Do I need a new alternator?

Post by canadian_ice »

Hi,<P>I posted back like a month ago about all of my lights (interior included) dimming to the beat of my subs AND that they dim whenever I press the brakes.<P>Anyways, I got my car serviced today and the mechanic wasn't sure without spending a few hours of labour what the problem was. He thinks that there's too much drain on my battery (with the subs of course).<P>Now my question is - is it time for a new alternator? That's what I think the problem is. If it was just the subs, I'd say a capacitor (as someone said before) but I'm not sure :(<P>PLEASE HELP! He said it might cause an electrical fire down the road if I don't fix something :(
mr.hunt

Re: Do I need a new alternator?

Post by mr.hunt »

Hey I ce I remeber your post from before I don't know what to really tell you. I would think as why spend money for an alternator when your's is probably in good shape just spend some cash and get a capacitor for your system or maybe if you want take a sub out and just run one your sound will still be good and your ears might thank you in the long road. Again It is going to come down to what you want to do. I think if you want to keep the sound get a capacitor if not drop a sub hope this helps peace<P>Mike
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

thanks for replying mr hunt!<P>The problem I have is that my headlights dim whenever I press the brakes - that can't be related to my music, can it? I mean, it still did it before I put the subs in, and when my deck is turned off.<P>I'm thinking alternator testing at canadiantire... :D
Da_Wiggy

Post by Da_Wiggy »

it's only a 300 watt amp right? I'd invest in a deep cycle battery(thats what I did for my car)
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

What about getting a GS alternator? Would that work or would it be too much power for the RS electrical system?<P>Dee. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

Johann - How much? Easy to install? And where can I get one?
Da_Wiggy

Post by Da_Wiggy »

come by the shop, I'll show you mine and explain
canadian_ice

Post by canadian_ice »

ok man - ill try the canadian tire test first tho.
mr.hunt

Post by mr.hunt »

Yeah you are right sorry for the misunderstanding I would agree about alt if this was happening before I was chatting with my machnic friend about your prob and besides the capacitor thing he said that the alt is your other option. I would not look at a battery for the money cause if your alt is not supplying the power the battery will not keep a charge so yeah take it to a place to have it tested, and I don't think that a gs alt would be to much power for your ecu but that I am not 100% on this so maybe another experianced brother will know. Hope this helps more stay cranked and safe dude. Peace <BR>Mike
Da_Wiggy

Post by Da_Wiggy »

A cap is only going to strain the elecrical system if the car battery can't hold it's charge very well. Mike how old is your battery?
mr.hunt

Post by mr.hunt »

Hey My bat is the same one that I had when I bought it new in 96. I have no system in my car though. I have one in my blazer though but it is small cause I work in a sulphur plant and value my ears so I keep my sys just to sound good with out killing my ears anymore than my work does ( lol ).I would agree with you about the cap that is why I am saying or agreeing with him to get his alt looked at. Again though if the battery is getting charge at a good consitent rate then the bat should never loose it's charge ( unless you run your stereo alot without the car running. ) . I am not say that a deep cell is not a bad idea to help the whole system but look at all options and I would just make sure that he has a good alt first then look at your bat if niether of those do anything to improve well then start looking at caps or other system improvment's. Actually that is wrong about my bat I had to replace it two years ago I went on a trip came home and the car was dead. I guess my old age is getting to my memory. stay cranked and safe peace.<P>Mike<BR>ps I hope that I have helped more maybe just confused you more. lol [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”